DescriptionPitfall! is a platform action game. You play Pitfall Harry who is on a quest to locate treasure deep in the jungle. With a little luck, you'll be able to find money bags, silver bars, gold bars, and diamond rings. But many obstacles will get in the way, some of which merely deduct points from your score, while others are fatal. Rolling logs and falling down a hole will deduct points, and scorpions, alligators, snakes, bottomless pits, swamps, and fires will cause Pitfall Harry to lose a life. You have 20 minutes to try to collect all of the treasures on the numerous screens if you can live that long!
- "Pitfall Harry's Jungle Adventure" -- subtitle
- "Jungle Runner" -- Working title
- "ピットフォール" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Games made into TV series
- Gaming Service: Game Room
- Pitfall series
- Protagonist: Treasure hunter
- Video games turned into board / card games
|Pitfall Harry's adventures in the jungle||Katakis | カタキス (42793)|
|The best Atari 2600 game?||Mr. E (4)|
|best game developed in 1982, it was on the top of the charts for a year||Scott G (793)|
|Woodgrain Wonderland||Sep 11, 2017||A+||100|
|neXGam||Jun 27, 2013||8.8 out of 10||88|
|Retroage||May 21, 2009||8.6 out of 10||86|
|Retro4Ever||Sep 18, 2012||8.5 out of 10||85|
|JoyStik||Dec, 1982||8.3 out of 10||83|
|Oldies Rising||Oct 10, 2013||16 out of 20||80|
|8-bit Central Retro Gaming||2011||80|
|The Game Hoard||Apr 12, 2022||5 out of 7||71|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CartoonPitfall! was popular enough to have a Saturday morning TV cartoon based on it. The cartoon focused on the adventures of Pitfall Harry, his niece Rhonda, and the cowardly mountain lion Quickclaw.
Explorer's ClubPlayers who were able to rack up 20,000 points or higher were eligible to receive the Explorers' Club patch from Activision if they sent in a screenshot to the company. Here is a picture of that patch at AtariAge.
GlitchesA clipping bug in the ColecoVision version of the game would allow the player to actually walk through the walls in the lower area if hit just right. A demonstration can be seen in this video.
- Issue #4 - #33 in the "Top 100 Video Games of All-Time" list
- Game Informer
- August 2001 (Issue 100) - #41 in the "Top 100 Games of All Time" poll
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #85 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 37 - #21 in the "Top 25 Platformers of All Time" poll
- Issue 04/1984 – #3 Video Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Pitfall! 20th Anniversary (Learn the history and play of one of the most popular Atari 2600 games ever created.)
- Skatefall! (August 16th, 2006, John Freeborn released this Flash game, a skateboarding-themed homage to Pitfall!)
Servo (57355) added Pitfall! (Atari 2600) on Apr 04, 2003
Credits (1 people)
Conceived and designed by: