Swedish Erotica: Custer's Revenge (Atari 2600)

Swedish Erotica: Custer's Revenge Atari 2600 Title screen and game demo mode

MISSING COVER

Visual
Gameplay
Narrative
Written by  :  DarkBubble (376)
Written on  :  Jun 13, 2007

read more reviews by DarkBubble

Summary

I almost feel guilty that I could play this game well.

The Good

It's a game of timing, when it comes down to it, and on this point it does very well. If you've got a good sense of timing, you'll probably do pretty well, as the controls are responsive enough. All in all, it's simplistic, with only it's shock value to prop it up.

Surprisingly, the graphics are fairly colorful and well-done for an Atari 2600 title. However, I highly doubt that Custer sported a 14" phallus.

The Bad

I'm not a P.C. person, but I do have certain sensitivities. Walking through a storm of arrows to hook up with a Native American chick may sound like a frontier romance novel, but when the game's called Custer's Revenge, it's pretty safe to assume that it's the system limitations that kept the rape sequence looking almost consensual. I'm sure that if it the state of technology had been different, your "reward" wouldn't be standing naked next to a cactus and disrobing her would have been another minigame.

The fact that you get points for banging away on someone who is probably moments away from being a murder victim is sick. Unfortunately, the comical look of the graphics may detract from any shock one may feel. I don't find rape funny in the least, yet I managed to rack up the points. Once the "I can't believe they made this" reaction wore off, I shut it down and never touched it again.

The Bottom Line

Custer's Revenge may call to mind a rematch at Little Bighorn, but that isn't what you get here. As General George Custer, wearing nothing but boots, hat, and scarf, you work your way across the playfield as arrows rain down. Once you make it to the naked Native American maiden, you smack the fire button over and over to "score".

If curiosity happens to grab you hard enough to make you play this game, you'll either quit in disgust or out of boredom.