Forums > Game Forums > Castle Wolfenstein > Impossible with keyboard controls

Donatello (466) on 7/28/2013 6:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Not only does it use some funky WAXD movement (and requiring one to press S to stop movement), aiming the gun requires one to use diagonal directions centered at L. If you are spawned right next to an enemy, you're dead before you can even do something.

Too bad, since it's kind of interesting as a progenitor of the stealth genre.

vedder (70793) on 7/28/2013 6:46 AM · Permalink · Report

If you have a gamepad you could try binding the buttons to something sensible. Of course, that wouldn't help for the press S to stop moving...

Daniel Saner (3503) on 7/29/2013 12:10 PM · Permalink · Report

On which system is that? I played the Apple II one, and don't remember any serious control issues.

vedder (70793) on 7/29/2013 12:21 PM · Permalink · Report

I think the DOS version has it. At least I also vaguely remember being weirded out by the control scheme.

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 7/30/2013 2:15 AM · Permalink · Report

The Apple II keyboard controls are just as complex. You could also use two joysticks, one for movement and one for firing (first twin-stick "shooter"?).

It can be done - just a matter of getting used to. I'm sure that back then, the idea of playing with a mouse in one hand and the other on the keyboard would've seemed just as weird.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 7/30/2013 4:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Ah! I would have played it on an emulator, so mayhaps I have simply used the two thumbsticks on my Logitech gamepad. Not terribly authentic.