Forums > Game Forums > Disney's Duck Tales: The Quest for Gold > More-colored version for DOS?

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 11/15/2017 1:31 AM · Permalink · Report

I like good-quality EGA graphics, but the more-colored - let's just call it VGA - version of this game sometimes looks even better. Is there a VGA DOS version, or do only Amiga players have the privilege of seeing this game in a more colorful version?

(Note: I've provided some Amiga screenshots, but I've never had an Amiga as such. There is some Polish team making Windows-playable versions of Amiga games, basically some in-built emulator which works automatically and allows running each game very easily. Unfortunately, I can play only games which have been reworked this way, and I don't think that "Duch Tales" is one of them...)

D D (47) on 11/15/2017 3:30 PM · Permalink · Report

EGA seems to be the highest graphics level this game supports on the PC. There are a lot of games from that era that support EGA only and only have beeper sound support, whereas the Amiga and Atari versions have much nicer graphics and sound. A good case in point is the King of Chicago - that game looks pretty bad on the PC because it's CGA only, whereas the Amiga and Atari versions look very nice :) You'll notice also that a lot of the Sierra On-line games from around that time were EGA even though VGA was supported by other developers by that point. The issue was probably due to the number of different graphics platforms that had to be supported (CGA, EGA and Hercules/MGA as well as VGA) and some of the developers might have felt that the VGA market wasn't big enough or adding VGA graphics applied additional constraints on them in terms of disk space, more work for the artists, etc.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66248) on 11/15/2017 5:05 PM · Permalink · Report

In this day and age, everyone who is willing to put in the work needed to figure out emulation is free to play whichever is their favorite platform's version of any old game.