Not an American user?
DescriptionDungeon Master is a role-playing game where the player selects four adventurers and descend into the depths of the dungeon. The gameplay is reminiscent of the 3D dungeon crawl type of role-playing games popularized by Wizardry and The Bard's Tale. However, unlike these games, Dungeon Master features real-time combat, which requires the player to click on the opponent in order to execute an attack. Another notable aspect of the game is its growth system: instead of gathering experience points and leveling up, characters improve by repeatedly using the same action. Spellcasting involves selecting and combining symbols, which can be arranged as rune sequences. The game also allows the player to directly interact with objects in the game world through a point-and-click interface.
- "Crystal Dragon" -- Working title
- "ダンジョンマスター" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Console Generation Exclusive: SNES
- Dungeon Master series
- Gameplay feature: Hunger / Thirst
- Genre: Dungeon Crawler
|First 'free-form' job-type RPG I played||eamonman (8)|
|Lost a summer playing this||Shaun Scott (3)|
|The Atari Times||Mar 03, 2014||100 out of 100||100|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||May, 1988||949 out of 1000||95|
|Happy Computer||Jan, 1988||92 out of 100||92|
|Atari ST User||May, 1988||9 out of 10||90|
|ST Action||May, 1988||90 out of 100||90|
|Retro Archives||Jun 03, 2018||18 out of 20||90|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Mar, 1988||10.5 out of 12||88|
|Joker Verlag präsentiert: Sonderheft||1992||87 out of 100||87|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Apr, 1988||Unscored||Unscored|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|PC release date?||2||Terok Nor (31681)
Jun 16, 2015
Jan 17, 2012
1001 Video GamesDungeon Master appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Apple IIgs versionThe first port of Dungeon Master was for the Apple IIgs. This port was done while the original Atari ST version was in development.
DOS versionThe DOS version contains some individual marks: it has an extra animation at the end of the game and plays music in the starting screen.
SpeakerIn the United States FTL released an sound adapter along with Dungeon Master. It connected to the computer's joystick port and plugged into any speaker or amplifier to add digital sound to the Dungeon Master game. Built into the device was a 9-pin joystick adapter.
- October 1988 (issue #13) - Included in the Top-100 list of 1987/1988 (editorial staff selection)
- February 1991 (issue #41) - Included in the list Greatest Games of all Time, section Role-Playing Games (editorial staff choice)
- Amiga Power
- May 1991 (Issue #00) - #16 in the "All Time Top 100 Amiga Games"
- Computer Gaming World
- October 1988 (Issue #52) - Special Artistic Achievement Award
- November 1989 (Issue #65) - Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) - #49 on the "150 Best Games of All Time" list
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #63 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- Power Play
- Issue 01/1989 - Best Role Playing Game in 1988
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #34 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- ST Format
- May 1990 (Issue #10) - Included in the list "ST Format's 30 Kick-Ass Classics"
- August 1991 (Issue #25) – #2 Top Atari ST Classic Games (Editorial staff vote)
- January 1993 (issue #42) – #4 in '50 finest Atari ST games of all time' list
Related Web Sites
- Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back Encyclopaedia (An excellent fan site for Dungeon Master I & II and Chaos Strikes Back with maps, walkthrough, monster description, downloads, etc)
- Dungeon Master.com (Community site with a forum. Focus is on user created content for Dungeon Master, tools & links.)
Rantanplan (1813) added Dungeon Master (Atari ST) on Jan 17, 2003