Forums > Game Forums > Maniac Mansion > Famicom version -- new entry?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66274) on 7/21/2012 2:36 AM · Permalink · Report

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2009/08/maniac-mansion-famicom-version.html

It's the same game, but (as with the other NES version) graphics are different, there are some minor changes, and shockingly -- it doesn't use the SCUMMVM engine!

Unicorn Lynx (181780) on 7/21/2012 2:46 AM · Permalink · Report

Not enough to warrant a new entry, in my opinion. Otherwise almost every console-converted adventure should have one.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66274) on 7/21/2012 2:50 AM · Permalink · Report

I agree with you, but I know that we've been silently filling up with splitters.

Would it be interesting or useful to investigate techniques of documenting a game that was only released on Famicom with a different analogue released on the NES? I suppose the same could be asked of the PC Engine / Turbografix-16. Having proclaimed both platforms the same, how to differentiate games released only on the one?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (93195) on 7/21/2012 3:07 AM · Permalink · Report

I imagine we would handle it just like other games that saw multiple unique ports to the same hardware: release info. The Mega Drive saw multiple different ports of Klax and Marble Madness, while the NES and Famicom saw distinct ports of Rampart. This seems like the same sort of situation.

The TG16 and the PCE are the same hardware, only with a different shell design and card pinout.