🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > The Secret of Monkey Island > Dial-a-Pirate copy protection

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/19/2007 6:45 PM · Permalink · Report

I have vague memories with no corroboration on Google; that when the copy protection code-wheel for this game was opened up (for photocopying purposes), a game-themed anti-piracy message would be printed on its interior. To establish this as a trivia item for the game entry here, I huffed and puffed all over this wide internet direct to the most active MI forums I could find all for naught; what validating this hypothesis requires is someone with an intact vintage dial-a-pirate wheel willing to, for all intents and purposes, break it. And so we may never know 8)

Terok Nor (42009) on 5/19/2007 7:01 PM · Permalink · Report

I own three wheels, and you're right, I won't take apart any of them. g

Still, I checked: the only place where you could print something like that is in the center of the lower part of the wheel. Bending the upper half a bit, there is nothing there.

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/19/2007 7:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah would you look at that, Pseudo Intellectual - you can travel the world over looking for answers and all the time they're right here at home! I love MobyGames...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/19/2007 9:36 PM · Permalink · Report

The answer mobygames provided was "I have a wheel but I'm not going to take it apart for you to find the answer you're looking for" 8)

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/20/2007 5:04 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]The answer mobygames provided was "I have a wheel but I'm not going to take it apart for you to find the answer you're looking for" 8) [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

And then he bent it and looked...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/20/2007 10:07 AM · Permalink · Report

ahh, but we don't know for sure without going past the upper half 8)

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/21/2007 12:15 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]ahh, but we don't know for sure without going past the upper half 8) [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Okay, I'm shutting up now. After I go off topic and mention how glad I am you managed to get Neko in the database! (Didn't want to open up a whole new forum.)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/21/2007 5:34 AM · Permalink · Report

you managed to get Neko in the database!

Shh, don't make a big fuss or someone might notice and reverse the decision 8)

Foxhack (32100) on 5/19/2007 7:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Crap... do all versions of the game have this copy protection? I have a few CD versions of these games and they didn't come with a wheel. :(

Wizo (28758) on 5/19/2007 8:55 PM · Permalink · Report

When you play the games with ScummVM there is no copy protection.

Pondo Frost on 5/22/2007 3:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Come on guys, i lost mine, i dont care about ScummVM to bypass it, i hate having the original game without the code wheel. Is it really that hard to do?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/22/2007 7:59 AM · Permalink · Report

Could you rephrase the question?

chirinea (47495) on 5/22/2007 8:08 AM · Permalink · Report

"I want my game cracked, can you please point me a warez site?"

Indra was here (20755) on 5/22/2007 12:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Monkey Island has copy protection? Hahaha. I love coming from an actual pirate island!!!

Stratege (21379) on 5/22/2007 1:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well… there is few good sites with have them deconstructed and scanned… here one of them. http://sagamonkey.free.fr/codes/sommairecodes.htm

Even more after some look got that flash working version link:

http://www.djgallagher.com/games/pc/monkeyisland1/dial_a_pirate.php

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/22/2007 6:44 PM · Permalink · Report

here one of them. http://sagamonkey.free.fr/codes/sommairecodes.htm

The big question I have is what, if anything, is on /the back/ of image number two there 8) I'm not trying to crack the game, I'm trying to track down a funny and devious anti-piracy message.

The anecdote just seems too good a fit for me to have imagined it, though maybe it's just ancient unsubstantiated fabrication.

Pondo Frost on 5/22/2007 11:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Someone please, do a high res scan for us.