🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Ultima VI: The False Prophet > Isometric perspective

SharkD (425) on 12/17/2007 7:19 PM · Permalink · Report

This game doesn't use isometric perspective. It should be removed from that group.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 12/17/2007 7:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Then submit a correction.

Indra was here (20755) on 12/23/2007 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Nope, its isometric. Not by today's standards mind you, but back then, it was pretty much isometric in comparison to other games which were traditionally 100% topdown.

Terok Nor (42006) on 12/23/2007 6:21 PM · Permalink · Report

It wasn't isometric back then, and it isn't according to the Moby definition. It's 'slightly angled' top-down at best.

Indra was here (20755) on 12/23/2007 6:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Aye. Slightly. Had trouble choosing between top-down and isometric. Personally, me thinks its isometric...only because that slightly-angled feels different during gameplay compared to the traditional top-down games.

Terok Nor (42006) on 12/23/2007 6:31 PM · Permalink · Report

The important phrase in the Moby definition is "Movement is diagonally-biased instead of straight up/down/left/right." Doesn't apply to U6, but to all other games traditionally defined as isometric (like Populous, Cadaver, Q-Bert, Sim City 2000, Ultima VIII, ...).

Indra was here (20755) on 12/23/2007 6:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hmm. Then I must concur to the mentioned article. Though its still isometric in my book as far as Ultima V is concerned. :p

SharkD (425) on 12/29/2007 9:05 AM · Permalink · Report

One way you can tell is by looking at the floor tiles. If their corners meet at right angles, then it's not isometric.

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/29/2007 9:29 AM · Permalink · Report

It should be noted that even if they don't meet at right angles, it's not certain that the perspective is isometric. The angles must be 120 degrees only. And that sure does eliminate many games' right to have isometric perspective.

For the purposes of easier classification the database takes some liberties with the notion of "isometric perspective", I can say that mainly it relies on the perception of the latter.

It is obvious that Ultima VI (and VII) deliberately tries to avoid a complete top-down view (just check out those those stairs), even if it's engine doesn't allow it. I think such kind of aspiration should be noted and reflected in the database.

Having said all that, I see that the change has been already approved, so I guess I'll shut up right here. It's not like it makes the game being any worse. Ultima still rocks regardless of from what angle you look at it!

SharkD (425) on 12/29/2007 9:37 AM · Permalink · Report

To add to the confusion, Ultima Online uses the same projection as Ultima VII. The screen is just rotated 45 degrees (so movement does occur in the diagonal).

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/29/2007 2:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Santa Martyne wrote--]Ultima still rocks regardless of from what angle you look at it! [/Q --end Santa Martyne wrote--] LOL! Very nice pun!