DescriptionRelive Tolkien's The Hobbit as Bilbo Baggins. A piece of Interactive fiction (with graphics to illustrate locations), you follow the plot of Tolkien's book (before the Lord of the Rings trilogy), starting with an encounter with Gandalf and Thorin. The other characters can make their own moves independently of the player and their actions can sometimes result in a situation where it is not possible to complete the game. Every character and object in the game has a calculated mass which affects how they can be manipulated by the player.
The implementation is rich enough that you can play entirely without pictures if you wish. Also, gameplay happens in realtime, uncommon for interactive fiction. The game's parser, called Inglish took as long to develop as the rest of the game. In contrast to other text-based games of the period which were based on simple verb-noun parsers, Inglish allowed for complete sentences to be entered.
There are no promo images for this game
Part of the Following Groups
- Fantasy Creatures: Dwarves
- Game Engine: Inglish
- Inspiration: Author - J. R. R. Tolkien
- Inspiration: Literature
- The Tolkien Software Adventure series
There are no reviews for the BBC Micro release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Apr, 1987||9.8 out of 12||82|
|Home Computing Weekly||Jan 10, 1984||80|
|Home Computing Weekly||Jul 23, 1985||60|
|Happy Computer||Jan, 1984||Unscored||Unscored|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|I have The Hobbit for GBA.||5||Martin Smith (66852)
Jul 22, 2007
1001 Video GamesThe Hobbit appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
BugsThere is a very famous bug, that you can put yourself inside the chest, close the lid and still walk around in the game and look at things
ExtrasThe original releases of The Hobbit also included Tolkien's full novel as an added bonus.
- February 1991 (issue #41) - Included in the list Greatest Games of all Time, section Adventure Games (editorial staff choice)
- Computer and Video Games
- Golden Joystick Award 1983: Winner Strategy Game of the Year
- May 1985 (Issue 1) - #3 'My Ten All-Time Favourites' (White Wizard)
Related Web Sites
- Crapshoot (A humorous review on PC Gamer)
- retro*GAMER (The Making Of) (For combined platforms.)
- The Hobbit on Wikipedia (Here you can find all sorts of info about the game.)