antstream
Today I Die Browser Title and loading screen

MISSING COVER

Written by  :  CrankyStorming (3003)
Written on  :  Jan 06, 2012

read more reviews by CrankyStorming

Summary

The most pretentious game to ever involve swimming

The Good

Today I Die is certainly distinct. Pixelated designs are nothing new in browser games, but here, Daniel Benmergui does an effective job at giving them a vaguely unique style.

The Bad

What exactly was he trying to get across to us, anyway? As far as I can gather, we're trying to get this dying girl to lighten up, but we must go about it in the strangest way possible. All we're given as guidance is some words to mess around with, and even then, it wasn't made clear at all as to how exactly you go from a position of absolute vulnerability to a position of strength. When one needs to look at a walkthrough on a game as simplistic as this, it's not a good sign.

There isn't any real logic or point to the game, either. Accepting the strange but ultimately inept enemies, all that's here is some meaningless sentences where the words need to be swapped out with less moodier ones. Benmergui only makes himself look snobbish by not making the meaning clear, if there is one.

And how is swimming a step up from shining, anyway?

The Bottom Line

For all I call out against Today I Die, there's nothing technically wrong with the game. For what it's worth, I wasn't in a bad mood during my time playing it. That said, the game is pointless, but refuses to admit as much. It tries to have some kind of message, but it just comes across as pretentious.

antstream