antstream
Visual
Gameplay
Written by  :  CrankyStorming (3003)
Written on  :  Oct 10, 2011
Platform  :  Browser

read more reviews by CrankyStorming

Summary

Just what are you trying to say, Mr Bashiri?

The Good

There's always a laugh of some kind to be had with a premise so simple that basically rewards you for nothing. You Have To Burn The Rope draws you in both subtly and loudly at the same time by telling you exactly what to do and then congratulating you with a nice song, though why exactly it needs to play on repeat.

The Bad

One can assume Kian Bashiri meant this as a commentary on the difficulty, or lack thereof, of modern games, but it isn't clear which one he means. If he thinks modern games are too hard and wants to give us something refreshingly simple, fair play, but having played a lot of modern games, I hadn't noticed. If he thinks modern games are too easy and is using this to prove a point, then he's only making himself look like a snob who forgets that people have already said as much.

The Bottom Line

So there's You Have To Burn The Rope, a game that can't decide on a point. As much as I think about it, neither interpretation adds up, which doesn't bode well for an admittedly enjoyable game whose one-sentence structure forces itself to hang solely on its core message.

antstream