🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Champions of Krynn > Fully localized German version?

Trypticon (11024) on 9/25/2015 1:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The trivia says the that the actual game text was translated. That sounds dubious - I would think it should be relatively easy to confirm it, but I find no evidence of this. It looks like the manuals may have been country specific, but that's it. I'm aware that Softgold later had a practice where the English version was released first and they followed up later with their German localized one, but this doesn't seem to apply here, only for later Goldbox titles. And I suppose the trivia is rather old, so no source was given.

Terok Nor (42005) on 9/25/2015 3:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Even at this early time there were some full translations of games that you wouldn't expect, like Ultima VII or Wing Commander II. I wouldn't rule it out. I might even remember reading about this in Power Play or something, but that might have been a different game...

EDIT: Must have been a different one. According to this and this, the first Gold Boxes to be translated were Countdown to Doomsday, Death Knights and Pools of Darkness. No Champions.

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 9/25/2015 4:59 PM · Permalink · Report

In that case the contributor probably just confused Death Knights and Champions.

Trypticon (11024) on 9/26/2015 11:51 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Of course, it's not the period of the alleged translation that makes the claim dubious. The trivia says it was "sold widely with good success". There are no scans here, at OGDB.eu or The Legacy, and neither in the Amiga scene (Hol) or the German Abandonware has anything surfaced that would support it. When Power Play initally reviewed the game, they wrote that the books (manual/journal) were planned to be translated. For Death Knights it was explicetely noted that the game text would be localized.

So taken all of this together, I think this justifies a revision.