🐳 Moby v2024.04.07

Forums > Game Forums > Sentinel Worlds I: Future Magic > does anyone still sell 5 1/4inch drives

Michael Mueller on 3/20/2009 3:08 AM · Permalink · Report

I love this game. I remember playing it when I was 11. Hack and slash With a Gyro Cutless! Collect resources in you ATV (which if I remember correctly broke down alot).

There was a lot to this game, much more than most RPG's for its time. Space 1889 is the only game I can think of that comes close, or maybe the Ultima series. Non linear dialouge and quests that invited you into many different game play styles, And no weapon since sounds as cool as a Gyro Cutless. Shame most games are built around graphics that limit the imagination rather than allowing you to see the world for yourself. Kinda like reading a good book over watching the Catastrophe, eh-hem, Movie.

Anyway, I still have the game box and disks, but the old 5ΒΌ inch disks are probably corrupted and futher more who still has a floppy drive or at least the 5ΒΌ"

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this. Filecloud is ment to have it but won't let me access, and every other place where it is supposedly available requires hours of dodgey sales promotion surveys (3 mins my but, more like a whole in my pocket for life)

Any suggestions would be bathed in love and excitment. Beats holding the game box and drooling with my imagination.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 3/20/2009 8:01 AM · Permalink · Report

the old 5ΒΌ inch disks are probably corrupted and futher more who still has a floppy drive or at least the 5ΒΌ"

I heard recently that the 5.25's were actually less likely to bitrot than the 3.5s, ironically as the latter supplanted them. Quantity or duration, choose one!

All the same, I bet if you put a craigslist ad for the drive and said you were willing to take it if an old computer was attached to it, you'd end up with someone's sweet back-of-closet 1988 gaming rig. I'd ask my local e-waste facility, but we aren't all so privileged as to have one at our disposal.

Foxhack (32100) on 3/21/2009 6:08 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]the old 5ΒΌ inch disks are probably corrupted and futher more who still has a floppy drive or at least the 5ΒΌ"

I heard recently that the 5.25's were actually less likely to bitrot than the 3.5s, ironically as the latter supplanted them. Quantity or duration, choose one![/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]I just rescued some floppy disc sets from 1991 and 1993. And much to my surprise, they weren't corrupted at all.

YMMV, of course...

Servo (57070) on 3/21/2009 1:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[quote]I just rescued some floppy disc sets from 1991 and 1993. And much to my surprise, they weren't corrupted at all.

YMMV, of course...[/quote] I still have 5.25" disks from the early 80's (1982, 1983) that work just fine :)

formercontrib (157510) on 3/21/2009 2:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Servo wrote--][quote]I just rescued some floppy disc sets from 1991 and 1993. And much to my surprise, they weren't corrupted at all.

YMMV, of course...[/quote] I still have 5.25" disks from the early 80's (1982, 1983) that work just fine :) [/Q --end Servo wrote--]

Yepp, can confirm this - 5.25" are the much better choice, almost all of my pc discs, and all C64 disks from the eighties still work perfect.

St. Martyne (3648) on 3/21/2009 6:36 AM · Permalink · Report

You can sent me your email via MobyGames private message. I am sure we will work something out. ;-)

Indra was here (20756) on 3/21/2009 7:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Why am I having forum dejavus?

Servo (57070) on 3/24/2009 2:42 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Why am I having forum dejavus? [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Good evening. Tonight on "It's the Mind"...

Virgil (8563) on 3/29/2009 10:55 PM · Permalink · Report

I think you can get this junk for free - just ask on some hardware board. It's absolutely ridiculous to ask money for a 5.25 floppy drive(unless it's combo). But it could be tricky to set it up in XP or 2k.

Foxhack (32100) on 3/30/2009 1:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Y halo that dual bewt!