Not an American user?
DescriptionCall of Duty is a first-person shooter set during World War II and the first title in a long-running series. It is also the first game by development studio Infinity Ward and in some ways builds upon Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, a similar title a part of the team had been working on at 2015, Inc. before forming a new company.
Players experience the battle in Europe during World War II in different campaigns divided further into missions. Unlike MoH: AA these are not only presented from the view of an American soldier, there is a British and a Soviet campaign as well, each focusing on different parts of the battle. In total there are 24 interconnected missions to play to get to Berlin. In each campaign a different perspective is offered, starting as an American Paratrooper during D-Day, progressing to assume the role as an English Special Forces commando, and finally as a Russian tank commander. Some missions are played in solitary fashion, but in most of them the player is part of a larger group with computer-controlled team mates.
Most of the combat is infantry-based, but some is also set between vehicles or tanks. Multiplayer modes include death match, team death match, behind enemy lines (where the allies are outnumbered) and two objective-based modes: retrieval, and search and destroy.
The later-released console version Call of Duty Classic is a reworking of the original game with enhanced graphics.
- "使命召唤" -- Simplified Chinese spelling
- "MOH Killer" -- Working title
- "COD" -- Common abbreviation
- "Call of Duty Classic" -- Console title
- "Call of Duty 1" -- Informal title
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: id Tech 3 with ÜberTools
- Anti-Cheat Technology: PunkBuster
- Call of Duty series
- Call of Duty universe
- Green Pepper releases
- Setting: City - Berlin
- Setting: Country - France
- Setting: Destroyer / Cruiser / Carrier
- Software Pyramide releases
- Video games turned into board / card games
|Martins, Evans and Alexei: WWII Heroes||Windows||vicrabb (7291)|
|Addictive arcade style shooter that is sure to satisfy||Windows||Jason Appleby (8)|
|Very, very good.||Windows||Tomer Gabel (4643)|
|A fantastic trip into a horrible world||Windows||Mattias Kreku (439)|
|G4 TV: X-Play||Windows||Mar 27, 2006||100|
|Computer Active||Windows||Jan 22, 2004||100|
|Mac Gamer||Macintosh||May 19, 2004||97 out of 100||97|
|IGN||Windows||Oct 27, 2003||9.3 out of 10||93|
|PC Gamer||Windows||Dec, 2003||93 out of 100||93|
|Game Revolution||Windows||Nov, 2003||A-||91|
|Gamesmania.de||Windows||Nov 12, 2003||88 out of 100||88|
|PC Action (Germany)||Windows||Nov 04, 2003||87 out of 100||87|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Windows||Nov 07, 2003||17 out of 20||85|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||Windows||Sep 08, 2004||17 out of 20||85|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe PC version of Call of Duty appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Enemy at the GatesWhen the battle on the Russian front starts, the first few missions are almost identical to the scenes in the movie Enemy at the Gates.
German versionIn the German version all terms like "Nazi" or "Kraut" were replaced with a simple "Deutscher" ("German"); "Wehrmacht" is replaced with "German Army". All swastikas (besides a few smaller ones on uniforms which were missed) were either removed or replaced with iron crosses.
- Computer Games Magazine
- March 2004 - #6 Game of the Year 2003
- Computer Gaming World
- March 2004 (Issue #236) – Shooter of the Year
- March 2004 (Issue #236) – Best Sound of the Year
- 2003 – #6 Game of the Year
- 2003 – PC Game of the Year
- 2003 – PC FPS of the Year
- 2003 – PC Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- 2003 – PC Action Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- 2003 - Best Sound of the Year (PC)
- 2003 - Best Level of the Year (PC, for Pegasus Bridge)
- 2011 – #12 Top PC Game of the 2000s
- PC Gamer
- April 2005 - #20 in the "50 Best Games of All Time" list
Related Web Sites
Windows Credits (261 people)
190 developers, 71 thanks
Todd Alderman, Keith Bell, Steve Fukuda, Preston Glenn, Chad Grenier, Mackey McCandlish, Zied Rieke, Nathan SilversArt: