Not an American user?
DescriptionCity of Heroes is the first Massively Multiplayer Online Game (MMOG) that lets you step into the pages of a comic book. Set in the 3D world of Paragon City, USA, you become a Super Hero spending your days fighting evil doers, assisting other heroes, forming Super Groups (complete with their very own Team costume), and mentoring Sidekicks. You are able to choose your Origin story and your Archetype, or style of play. There are hundreds of powers for a player to choose from, including learning to fly like Superman or run like the Flash. This is a online game and requires both internet access and a monthly fee.
- "英雄城市" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Yingxiong Chengshi" -- Chinese title
- "CoH" -- Informal abbreviation
- "City of Heroes: Deluxe Edition" -- European title
- "City of Hero" -- Korean title
Part of the Following Groups
- City of Heroes / Villains series
- Gameplay feature: Interior decorating
- Games made into books
- Games made into comics
- Physics Engine: PhysX
- Technology: amBX
|It's CLOBBERIN' time!||Afterburner (496)|
|GameSpy||May 30, 2004||90|
|GamePro (US)||Jun 03, 2004||4.5 out of 5||90|
|Netjak||May 05, 2004||9 out of 10||90|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Sep 11, 2004||9 out of 10||90|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Aug, 2004||90|
|IGN||May 28, 2004||8.4 out of 10||84|
|Jolt (UK)||May 17, 2004||8.2 out of 10||82|
|Games TM||Jul 15, 2004||8 out of 10||80|
|GameStar (Germany)||Aug, 2004||77 out of 100||77|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||Jul 10, 2006||11 out of 20||55|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|what do you do when the parent company pulls the plug?||1||Pseudo_Intellectual (64452)
Apr 24, 2019
1001 Video GamesCity of Heroes appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Christopher Reeve memorialAs City of Heroes is centered around superheroes, some players have set up a living memorial at the Virtue server upon learning of the passing away of Christopher 'Superman' Reeve at October 10, 2004.
ComicA subscription to the game also, as of 2005, gets you a subscription to a real, actual monthly comic book based on the game, and featuring prominent NPCs from the game as main characters. The game's comic book sometimes features actual players' characters.
NovelsOn top of a collectible card game, numerous comic books and a pen-and-paper RPG, CDS published two novels set in the City of Heroes universe: The Web of Arachnos (2005), by Robert Weinberg; and The Freedom Phalanx (2006), by Robin D. Laws. (A third, The Rikti War, was written by Shane Hensley and due for 2006 publication, but never released.)
RatingCryptic Studios originally refused to release the game with anything harsher than an E rating. This, obviously, did not happen, as the game is rated T.
Role playing serverThough there is technically not an official Role Playing (RP) server, the Virtue server has been the "unofficial RP Server" since the game was originally launched.
Universe mergeIn July 2008 NCsoft announced the complete merger of its City of Heroes and City of Villains titles into one game universe. Current subscribers who only had one of the titles received access to the features of both games, and new sales grant access to both.
- 2009 – Most Humorous Trailer of the Year
- Computer Games Magazine
- March 2005 - #9 Game of the Year
- Computer Gaming World
- March 2005 (Issue #249) – MMORPG of the Year
- March 2005 (Issue #249) – Best Character Creation of the Year
- 2004 – #8 PC Game of the Year
- 2004 – Best Use of Spandex of the Year (PC) (for its character creation system)
- 2011 – #5 Top Superhero PC Game (together with City of Villains)
Related Web Sites
- City of Heroes (Official Website)
- City of Heroes Stratics (Huge CoH site with news and information about the game.)
- Developer Interview (Xequted interviews Michael Lewis, CEO of Cryptic Studios, about City of Heroes. (Feb. 26, 2004))
aerynsun (125) added City of Heroes (Windows) on Apr 30, 2004
Credits (166 people)
143 developers, 23 thanks
Jack Emmert, Al Rivera, Sean Dornan‑Fish, Matthew Miller, Craig Zinkievich, Michael Lewis, Melissa Bianco, Brian Gilmore, Eric Nelson, David Wood, Jane KalmesProgramming:
Bruce Rogers, Shannon Posniewski, Matt Woomer, Martin Simpson, C. W. Bennett, Mark Kalmes, Jimb Esser, Michael Parent, Jonathan Shieh