DescriptionA new chapter in the Command & Conquer universe, set somewhere in the 2020s, pits three sides for global domination: the United States of America, the People's Republic of China and the Global Liberation Army (GLA).
Generals features real world (renamed or slightly altered) weapons combined with quasi-high-tech ones, new control schemes and a fast-paced multiplayer. Generals is the first game in the Command & Conquer series not to include FMV or pre-rendered cutscenes between missions, and was also the first C&C game without the Westwood Studios label (although the development studio was initially called Westwood Pacific before being merged into EA Pacific). It uses a full 3D environment powered by the SAGE engine, a modified version of the W3D engine previously seen in Emperor: Battle for Dune and C&C: Renegade.
The core gameplay differs somewhat from other games in the series, a move done in order to modernize the formula. First off, construction yards are absent, as structures are built by dozers for the USA and China, and workers for the GLA. The sidebar is replaced with the bottom bar, and support powers are "purchased" with leveling up as a general, which is done through participating in combat. For the first time in the series, each factory-type structure (barracks, war factory, airfield...) has its own build queue, in the same fashion as in Blizzard's RTS titles before it, instead of having a shared one like in the previous C&C games. Upgrades are available for the first time in the series as well, bringing improvements to units and structures. Everything is paid for in advance instead of having credits slowly drain as the object is constructed.
There are no promo images for this game
- "終極動員令：將軍" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "Command & Conquer: Generäle" -- German re-release title
- "C&C: Generals" -- Informal title
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: Sage 3D
- BPjS / BPjM indexed games
- Command & Conquer games
- Command & Conquer Generals series
- Gameplay Feature: Fog of War
- Gameplay feature: Recordable replays
- Setting: Baikonur Cosmodrome
- Technology: amBX
|Finally, an original and imaginative real-time strategy that brings color back into the fading RTS genre!||Windows||kbmb (399)|
|impressive, not the best||Windows||Peter Clark (10)|
|THE best RTS game of all time||Windows||Jester236 (39)|
|Great graphics etc ... Far too short||Windows||Paul Ryan (2)|
|Game Informer Magazine||Windows||Apr, 2003||9.25 out of 10||92|
|GameZone||Windows||Mar 06, 2003||9.1 out of 10||91|
|ComputerGames.ro||Windows||Feb 17, 2003||91 out of 100||91|
|PC Games (Germany)||Windows||Feb, 2003||90 out of 100||90|
|GameSpot||Windows||Feb 11, 2003||8.9 out of 10||89|
|PC Games (Germany)||Windows||Oct 01, 2003||85 out of 100||85|
|Gamesmania.de||Windows||Feb 17, 2003||84 out of 100||84|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Windows||Feb 13, 2003||16 out of 20||80|
|Rebell.at Games||Windows||Feb 26, 2003||7 out of 10||70|
|Macworld||Macintosh||Jul 26, 2004||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
German CensorshipCommand & Conquer: Generals was first temporarily (February 28, 2003) and later definitely (March 06, 2003) put on the German index. This means that it is forbidden to sell the game to minors or to advertise it in any form. The BPjM, Germany's banning office, said that C&C: Generals is too close to real-world events (i.e. the threat of an Iraq war) and to cynical - for example sending out suicide attackers, carpet bombing and raiding UN convoys.
Later it has been re-released in a heavily censored version:
- Many units and places were renamed. For example, the USA faction was called WA (Western Alliance) and China was AP (Asian Pact). Terrorists were renamed to Activists.
- All civilians were removed, and all soldiers were replaced by cyborgs, like in previous German C&C releases. Therefore some quotes of the GLA Worker like "I'm hungry" or "My hammer is too heavy" were removed completely.
- Suicide bombers were replaced by telecommunication units.
ReferencesIn one of the single player missions, which are begin played in the area of kazachstan, there is a dutch traffic sign! The sign is a real dutch sign with 'Breda' and 'Geertruidenberg' on it, 2 dutch cities.
- GameStar (Germany)
- February 13, 2004 - "Best PC Strategy Game in 2003" (Readers' Vote)
- PC Games (Germany)
- Issue 02/2004– Best Strategy Game in 2003 (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Command & Conquer: Generals (The official homepage)
- Command & Conquer: Generals music samples by composer Bill Brown (Listen to streaming and downloadable MP3 music tracks at the composer's official site. )
- Generals Walkthrough (The walkthrough for all nations, includes pictures to assist the player tactically.)
- Modern War in Real-Time (An Apple Games article about the Mac version of Command & Conquer: Generals, with commentary provided by David Solorzano Lowell (April, 2004).)
- Planet C&C (All the C&C games covered extensively on these pages. Articles, reviews, files for download, chat and more.)
- The First Hours of Command & Conquer: Generals (Gamespot's article about the initial development of "Command & Conquer: Generals".)
Executive in charge of production: