DescriptionYou are a hero raised from the dead by the god Zeus to rescue his daughter Athena. With scenery inspired by Ancient Greece, you have to fight hordes of undead and demons, with a boss at the end of each level until you meet the god Neff, who holds the girl captive.
The Altered Beast title refers to your shapeshifting abilities. In this platformer, you can collect spirit balls by defeating two-headed wolves, allowing you to mutate into different beasts such as a werewolf, a dragon, a tiger, a bear and others depending on the version. Each form, tied to a level, comes with special abilities such as flight and powerful attacks, easily superseding the basic set of punches and kicks in your human form.
The game can be played in single player mode, or in same-screen multiplayer co-op mode.
- "獣王記" -- Japanese spelling
- "兽王记" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Jūōki" -- Japanese title
- "Altered Beast Classic" -- iOS and Android release title
- "3D Altered Beast" -- Nintendo 3DS title
Part of the Following Groups
- Altered Beast series
- Animals: Cats
- Mythology: Greek
- SEGA Forever series
- SEGA Vintage Collection series
- Theme: Werewolves
There are no reviews for the Amstrad CPC release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Amstrad Action||Jan, 1990||50 out of 100||50|
|Retro Archives||Feb 22, 2019||5 out of 20||25|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CompilationA version of Altered Beast is included in Sega's Smash Pack compilation CD.
Genesis pack-in gameThis game was the first pack-in game to come with the Genesis when it first came out in 1989.
MegadriverThe Brazilian Heavy metal band Megadriver, specialized in SEGA MegaDrive music, did a cover of the first level theme, complete with one of the band members saying "Rise from your grave".
ReferencesThe ride-able lizard-birds from Golden Axe make a cameo appearance in the second stage. Bizarrian, a hybrid between an amphibious and a parrot, is also present in Golden Axe.
Version differencesThe NES version adds 3 new stages and 2 unique transformations: a shark, an a bird. On the other hand, the SMS version removes the tiger level. The Zodiac release is an emulation of the Genesis version, but for one player only.
- Power Play
- Issue 01/1990 - Biggest Failure of 1989
Related Web Sites
- Altered Beast coin-op game entry on KLOV (The Altered Beast coin-op game entry on the Killer List of Videogames.)
- Hardcore Gaming 101 (In depth look at the Altered Beast series of games)
- Wikipedia: Altered Beast (article in the open encyclopedia about the game)
- X360A Achievement Guide (X360A's achievement guide for Altered Beast.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.