🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Dark Ages: Volume 1 - Prince of Destiny > Episodes

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 5/5/2013 6:06 PM · Permalink · Report

The game had 3 episodes, but it's listed here only once - with the title of the first episode, but with screenshots from all three.

Shouldn't this be made consistent with Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, etc? I'd have no problem submitting separate entries; this one already has materials pertaining to all 3 parts, so I suggest amending the title to Dark Ages and revising the description with links to the separate episodes.

Fred VT (25953) on 5/5/2013 6:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I think the different episodes should have their own entries. If there are info for the other episodes, submit a splitting request or correction requests for specifics parts (covers, releases, screenshots, etc.)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 5/6/2013 3:38 AM · Permalink · Report

We never achieved consensus regarding whether different episodes of the same shareware game were themselves different games. I think the main thrust in the "lumping" camp is that when they were sold in boxes on shelves (the basic assumption the mobygames database was designed to cover), they were all present in the same package together, all subroutines called from the same master program. This ruling probably predates the prevalence of DLC.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/6/2013 8:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, we don't cover different games, we cover different releases, that much is clear.

These were never release separately?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 5/6/2013 2:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Some of them probably were.

The second rationale was very likely that we don't document "incomplete" games and "demos", and a paltry single episode of a three-episode master game would be considered to be a demo.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/6/2013 3:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Some of them probably were.

The second rationale was very likely that we don't document "incomplete" games and "demos", and a paltry single episode of a three-episode master game would be considered to be a demo. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Well, the second rationale we have by precedence blown out of the water, with unique-content demos. Though past game content vs. game release cases, have proven to show...er...a bit confusing really. Especially with game patches that almost make the original game unrecognizable. But that's another story, not really worth discussing really.

Though back to the original question, my understanding of the solution is that those screenshots don't belong there. Content unique only to mentioned game.

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 5/7/2013 2:53 AM · Permalink · Report

In this case the episodes were definitely available for purchase separately (see any '92-ish Apogee CATALOG.EXE of your choice). :) I don't know that there were retail copies.