Written by  :  Mr. Me (34)
Written on  :  Sep 26, 2003

read more reviews by Mr. Me

Summary

"My name's Duke Nukem...and I'm coming to get the rest of you alien bastards..."

The Good

Hmm...where to start?

I'm a huge fan of the previous two side-scrolling Duke games, but seriously, even after all these years...Duke Nukem 3d is, in my humble opinion, THE BEST game of all time. The fun in it is unbeatable, all the way from the opening moment, where you know those aliens ARE going to pay, to the climax in the football stadium against the giant alien cycloid emperor. Duke Nukem 3d is seedy and dark, but is very much a hilarious b-movie come to life. The weapons in an FPS have never been more fun, as it is hard to beat the feeling of squishing an enemy under your boot. The enemies are original and they kick ass, in a very B-movie sort of way (Pig-cops! Octabrains!). The level design is terrific. But the key that makes this game rock...is the character of Duke Nukem himself! With hilarious but at the same time badass one liners coming out, such as the truly great "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all outta gum" or "Shake it, baby!", Duke truly takes over the game and makes it his own. The game could truly not be called by any other name.

The Bad

Well, uh...hmm. Hold on...I guess the graphics are a little out of date, but they don't really matter.

The Bottom Line

GREAT game. Duke Nukem rocks.