🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > EcoQuest: The Search for Cetus > Something's (slightly) wrong with the music

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 5/23/2015 7:35 PM · Permalink · Report

I used to have this game years ago, when it was still new and I had a DOS computer. And I remember the music sounded different - and better. Now it sounds as if some sounds are missing - not that the melody is "broken", it plays OK, but it's like some of the notes are silent and only the tune's background can be heard. Anyway, it sure sounded different on the computer I had in the 90s.
I don't remember my settings now, but I know that in case of many games AdLib (whatever it is, I just know the names, but have no idea what's the difference) works better than Sound Blaster. However, I recall I tried changing the settings and the game didn't want to work with some of them. Any idea what I can do to get the melody to sound like it's probably supposed to?

Rwolf (22823) on 5/23/2015 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Did you have an MT-32/LAPC-I back then? (I see in the game specs that MT-32 is supported)

MT-32 Midi music may not sound quite the same on a General Midi instrumentation. I haven't tried that game, but maybe with an MT-32 emulation, like MUNT for DosBox, it might sound better?

Game Guesser (28) on 5/24/2015 2:55 AM · Permalink · Report

If you're using DOSBox, you should remember that not only do you have to adjust the settings in the game (or the game setup), but also in DOSBox itself, either by adjusting the .conf file or poking around the menus (if you're using a special launcher or a modified version of DOSBox).

I can't check what the specific deal is with this game, but you might try adjusting "sbtype=" in the .conf file - it's an SB16 by default, but it's within the realm of possibility that the music will perform more accurately with an older card, like the Pro 1.

In case you were wondering, most early SoundBlasters (including all the ones emulated by DOSBox) had basically 100% compatibility with music written for Adlib hardware, and due to a number of other advantages, they basically made the Adlib obsolete (a large part of why Ad Lib Inc. went bankrupt) . The same isn't true for the capabilities of the Adlib Gold, but games that specifically supported it are relatively rare.

In other words, any SoundBlaster emulated in DOSBox (except the pre-SB CMS/Game Blaster) should play Adlib music just like an official card would, save obscure fringe cases.

All that said, it looks like EcoQuest supported a wide range of sound devices, which I suppose is to be expected of a 1991 SCI title. Working through all of them could take a while.

Is there any chance you could record a dozen or so seconds of the music that sounds deficient to you and post it somewhere? It would be even better if you were able to find a video on Youtube that matches your memory of the audio.