Written by  :  Andrew Grasmeder (229)
Written on  :  Jul 18, 2000

read more reviews by Andrew Grasmeder

Summary

A classic, hilarious sierra adventure

The Good

This is a type of game that will make you laugh out loud. The humor in Freddy Pharkas starts with "The Ballad of Freddy Pharkas" and continues to the very end. Personally I think this is the best Sierra adventure game I have ever played. Who else but Al Lowe could make a story about a one eared frontier Pharmacist into such a fun and enjoyable game.

The Bad

Some of the puzzles are a little...let's say obscure. I had the hint book, and I think this one puzzle (making a silver ear) was pretty much impossible with out it, although it did make some logical sense. Some puzzles are illogical, but they are doable because the humorous writing gives you clues if you listen very hard.

The Bottom Line

This game is by the creator of Leisure Suit Larry, Al Lowe. The game has the same type of humor although most of it isn't adult oriented. The story is good, but the jokes are even better. Western movies, pharmacists, even adventure games themselves ("Summoning up super human strenghth you take the 6 tons of baking soda and stuff them into your pocket.") are made fun of.

I only played the CD-ROM version of the game in both Windows and DOS. I advise playing the game in DOS. I had a lot of trouble geting it to work under Win3.1, and I couldn't get it to work in 98. The sound and music is also much better for the DOS version. The voice acting is quite good. The graphics are good for a Sierra Adventure game. It uses hand painted background which I think still look nice after all these years.

All in all this game is really a funny and fun adventure game. Even if you don't like the genre, it's always fun to watch over someones shoulder just to hear the next pun, one liner, etc. I wished they had made a sequal.