atari gravitar
Written by  :  Stargazer (105)
Written on  :  Aug 02, 2003
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by Stargazer

Summary

Ahh! The good 'ol days!

The Good

Great plot, unprecidented atmosphere (even today), splendidly programmed and masterly fullfilled.

The Bad

A bit short, forehaps?

The Bottom Line

Gateway is a worthy game based on one of the most original science fiction novels of all time; "gateway" by Frederik Pohl (which, by the way, is one of my favourite books, so I guess this review is a bit biased).

Having its own independent plot, "Gateway: The Game" still re-creates the novel's famous atmosphere, and then some: following with a splendid and faithful re-creation of the Gateway facility and the Heechee starships (though I would like the other features of the book: traveling with companions for example, the turn-around as the ship slows down in Tau-space and so on - but hey, this game was made in the early 90's).

Gateway was one of the last real quality adventure games - a rare breed which, too me, seems to be dying in our day's. For present day computer companies have a lot to learn from these good old days; the days when making games was not just another way to make cash, but also when making the game itself involved the love from its creators.

Gateway, and its sequel, is one of those rare games we can truly call a work of art!

atari vcs