atari mania
Written by  :  Shane Cornall (7)
Written on  :  Jul 31, 2006
Rating  :  4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars4.75 Stars

read more reviews by Shane Cornall

Summary

One of Legend's best adventures

The Good

Great plot unfolds as you play, self-contained world/puzzles, variety of different worlds, occasionally multiple solutions to puzzles, engaging puzzles, adequate music, great parser (often allowing humourous returns).

The Bad

Graphics so/so. One nasty bug (which only intermittently comes up) which prevents completion of the game.

The Bottom Line

Definitely among my favourite IF titles, Gateway is based upon Frederik Pohl's universe, but has its own storyline. As a prospector seeking fame and fortune, you are prepared to risk your life unravelling the mysteries of a mysterious alien space station, and perhaps the biggest mystery of all: Who built it? This was the first Legend game I ever played, and one I revisit quite regularly, and mainly for one reason: the atmosphere. Gateway creates the sense of immersion expertly, and really represents the genre of "Interactive Fiction". Puzzles are sometimes devious, although I completed the game without cheating. There are many asides not related to the plot at all that certainly add atmosphere and backstory - for example, reading the news. The parser is one best I have ever encountered, with the option of typing, using the graphical window, or even a versatile menu system. The graphics are dated, although this doesn't hold a major problem - it is a text-based game at heart. The music complements the atmosphere despite its simplicity. A definite plus for me is the humourous responses possible from many actions. Try to "kiss" or "rub" everyone you meet, for example. If you enjoy adventure and puzzle games, or even just a great story, Gateway is definitely recommended.

atari breakout