Join our Discord to chat with fellow friendly gamers and our knowledgeable contributors!

antstream
Forum Search  
View Mode: threaded | watch thread

Other games with planetary flight?

BurningStickMan (18030) on May 28, 2013

Looking for other titles that allow you to transition from space to a planet's surface without seeing a loading screen. Kerbal Space Program is the only other I can think of. This seems like a rare feature, and one modern titles have pretty much given up on.

Re: Other games with planetary flight?

Rwolf (18317) on May 28, 2013

Evochron Mercenary has it, though the planet is not really detailed.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/evochron-mercenary

There is also a tech-demo for a coming MMO project called Infinity that will have it, but it is only in alpha yet. Some nice demo videos though.

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=26

MrFlibble (15273) on May 28, 2013

Star Quest I sorta has this feature.

By "sorta" I mean that the planet's surface isn't very detailed unless you're supposed to be flying there; and I think only some planets allow you to actually level with the surface - again, only when you're supposed to be doing some in-atmosphere mission. Otherwise, it's just like flying around some really huge roundish prop. But in any case, when you enter the atmosphere the sky colour changes.

Here is a shot of what it looks like to fly in the atmosphere of a random planet.

Terok Nor (30363) on May 29, 2013

The Mercenary series might fit, but I'm not certain.

Yearman (25750) on May 29, 2013

Elite: Dangerous will have this feature. It's planned as an expansion/update and is probably not included in the original release.

BurningStickMan (18030) on May 30, 2013

Thanks all!

Indra was here (20891) on Jun 28, 2013

BurningStickMan Wrote:
Kerbal Space Program is the only other I can think of.

Oh, tried it. Sucks big time. A NASA simulation game that has trouble explaining gameplay.

vedder (50937) on Jun 28, 2013

There are a lot of video tutorials to be found on YouTube. But the whole point of the game is to get out of the atmosphere in the first place.

Pseudo_Intellectual (63270) on Jun 28, 2013

There's a reason that "rocket scientist" isn't used as synonymous for "Joe average".

Hardly even qualifies as rocket science and actually gameplay-wise is more synonymous to Joe average.

Adzuken (854) on Jun 28, 2013

Indra was here Wrote:
Oh, tried it. Sucks big time. A NASA simulation game that has trouble explaining gameplay.

That's mostly due to it still being in Alpha. I like Kerbal Space Program. I've put stuff in orbit; it's not too difficult. The Munar surface, on the other hand, is pockmarked with my dead kerbalnauts.

I was expecting it to be a little more complex (being a simulation game and all) with some bloody descriptions. Can't believe they created a space exploration simulation with zero educational value.

Adzuken (854) on Jun 29, 2013

Indra was here Wrote:
I was expecting it to be a little more complex (being a simulation game and all) with some bloody descriptions. Can't believe they created a space exploration simulation with zero educational value.

I'm just not seeing how it's not complex. If anything, it's left me in awe that people actually do this. I can't even safely land on the Mun, and the idea of linking two objects in orbit just astounds me.

And you keep on bringing up that there's no description. I have to again point out that it's in alpha, and things like in-depth tutorials come after the gameplay is locked down.

Rola (8288) on Jun 29, 2013

On a side note: Indra, have you ever tried Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space?

(Edited by Rola (8288), Jun 29, 2013)