🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > The Home Entertainment Shareware Collection: Volume 6 - Simulation Shareware Games > Have I got it wrong or has moby linking changed?

piltdown_man (235991) on 1/21/2014 9:43 AM · Permalink · Report

A lot of shareware games have similar names so when I submit a compilation like this I usually use the < moby game="xxxxx" company="yyyy">link name< / moby> format. Where the game was developed by an individual I've been using the < moby game="xxxxx" developer="yyyy">link name< / moby> format.

Now that I have submitted all the games that I can from this compilation I came back to review it and check that all the links work. What I'm finding is that those with a game/company link, (e.g. Patriot Command, and TEGL Monopoly) work OK but those with a game/developer, (e.g. Pachsi, Gravity Wars & Skiing) link to the developer and not the game.

I'm sure this used to work. Has something changed or is it just me? I can almost guess the answer but I am so sure I used to be able to do this that it's worth asking the daft question.

Cavalary (11445) on 1/21/2014 10:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Never knew of this way to specify what you're referring to, just knew of platform as attribute. Nice.

vedder (70802) on 1/21/2014 10:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Not sure if that ever worked, I never used it with a developer name.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2014 11:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Also the reason why I use direct links instead of moby tags for game groups. I do a lot of game group re-editing and it has occurred many times in the past that the moby tags just never seem to get the results right.

Though for developers, I'm pretty sure you can use moby tags to identify their developer IDs instead of using their names. Forgot how to do that.

Also didn't developer always refer to the dude, not the company?

piltdown_man (235991) on 1/26/2014 11:02 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm intrigued by your reference to direct links for games, how do you do that? it's not in the moby tags description. Any examples?

Alaka (106097) on 1/26/2014 11:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

He's referring to using normal html code (ex. < a href=). I'd advise against doing that because in the future those links could become dead while mobytags will still work.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/27/2014 12:22 AM · Permalink · Report

I only use them for game groups, thus far. Still use moby tags for game descriptions. I find it annoying if a link doesn't directly go to the page in question, which means it's barely different than using the search engine.

It's also easier to detect errors, when you use direct html tags. When the link doesn't work, that means the previewed name has changed (e.g. Zombies --> Theme: Zombies), which gives you the chance to fix the previewed name. Using mobytags, it'll show the result, however there's a chance you'll miss the fact that the previewed name is incorrect.