antstream
Written by  :  WizardX (117)
Written on  :  Jul 14, 2003

read more reviews by WizardX

Summary

Among the weirdest games ever

The Good

The plot is wacked-out to the point of incomprehensibility. Imagine the Inca civilization never died out, but rose to be a starfaring race. You are El Dorado, flying a ship shaped like a statue, racing to beat Cortez (who flies a Spanish Galleon in space) to obtain... something or other. The game starts off trippy and just gets more surreal as it goes on. It, on the whole, mixes a number of different genres (including combat flight sim, inventory puzzles, and maze exploration) with a fairly high degree of efficiency. It's also very strange. The graphics were quite good for the day, and hold up today just in terms of their uniqueness. (outside of the sequel, there simply has not been another game that looks remotely like this) And did I mention it was just plain WEIRD?

The Bad

Some of the arcade sequences get quite difficult, and the overall mix of gaming styles is likely to turn off gamers who aren't proficient with both their wits and their reflexes. The ship's computer voice gets annoying. The "puzzle" sequences are logical, but like most puzzles of the day, can be solved just through persistant clicking.

The Bottom Line

If you can find a copy and a computer capable of playing it, it's worth the experience simply for the sheer oddness of the game. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't have a cult following; it's the sort of game that lovers of the bizarre would flock to.

antstream