🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Jack Orlando: A Cinematic Adventure > Newer Windows versions

Sciere (930488) on 6/27/2007 8:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It is hard to get the original game to run under newer Windows versions such as XP. That's because it is originally a DOS game and not Windows-native, unlike the Director's Cut.

The main problem is the VESA emulation. To install the game, it does a quick check and if it does not recognize your graphics card, it returns to the desktop. A workaround could be to try an older one.

If someone knows a solution (DOSBox chokes as well), I'll be glad to hear it. Maybe ScummVM will support it one day.

Shoddyan (15003) on 6/29/2007 10:00 AM · Permalink · Report

bump to myself.

I'm pretty sure there is a VESA emulator out there... I remember something like that from people running DOS games under Windows 95... I'll have to go hunt around for what I think I remmeber however...

Sciere (930488) on 6/29/2007 10:09 AM · Permalink · Report

I've tried a few that claimed to emulate VESA properly, but they seemed buggy and did not do much.

Shoddyan (15003) on 7/1/2007 7:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Well unfortunately I can't test with this game in particular. I bought the Director's Cut of Jack Orlando a long time ago and it runs fine in windows.