Forums > Game Forums > The Last Express > Hopelessly stuck...

vedder (70793) on 4/21/2011 7:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, I was having a great time. But now everything I do seems to result in my death or otherwise game over.

Kronos wants his egg, which I don't have, nor can find anywhere. After the concert the guard at the luggage cart finally moves so I can for the first time take a peek there. All I find is the dog and the package for the Serbs. If I open the package I will encounter the Austrian girl and will have to fight some goon. First I died in the fight. Then I rewound and won the fight but immediately after that Krono's helper kills me. Rewound again and let the dog free which prevented from getting killed by the helper, but now the train stops at Vienna and the goon kills me anyway in a cutscene.

Now the game automatically rewound more than an hour halfway through the concert. So there's probably something I must do. But I have no clue whatsoever what I should do to prevent the random goon from killing me in an hour's time...

Anyone know?

vedder (70793) on 4/21/2011 8:09 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Right, I downloaded the official strategy guide and that still doesn't help me. Apparently I'm supposed to already have the egg. But I've looked at where they say it's supposed to multiple times throughout the whole trip, and there never was an egg.

What must I do to have the egg show up at all?

I have now re-winded and checked the cupboard every other hour and it was never there. Also, now I have to start the game all over again...

Now I know again why adventure games almost died out at the turn of the millennium. Retarded adventure game logic :/

vedder (70793) on 4/21/2011 9:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Could it be I forgot to show the scarf to the Austrian girl, so she had no reason to relocate the egg?

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 4/22/2011 4:18 AM · Permalink · Report

"There are two compartments that were always locked and are now open to you. Tatiana will be at the concert, as well as herr Schmidt. Let's attend the concert to make sure everybody's there. At 3:00pm sharp (not earlier, not much later), attend the concert in Kronos' private car. Kronos and mrs. Wolff sure know how to sound like good guys while they're really bad guys. When you can move, get up and leave the concert. Important stuff needs to get done before Kahina starts moving, though she won't find the Firebird in Anna's compartment. In the meantime, Kronos and Anna Wolff will get started on the Sonata for Violin and Piano in A major by César Franck.

Kahina, somewhere around twenty past three, will leave the concert briefly to enter Anna's compartment, then return to the concert. You can't really interact with her.

When Coudert is out (he leaves his seat on occasion to check up on Max), enter compartment B with your master key (or enter A and enter into B through the washroom). You can search the room, but won't find much of interest; check out the picture of the ballerina. In the washroom, there's a small space below the sink. This is where you'll find something truly wonderful. As Tyler would say, "extraordinary". This is the Firebird."

Taken from http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/198971-the-last-express/faqs/61183

vedder (70793) on 4/22/2011 6:59 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, the strategy guide says something similar. But I looked in that cupboard at that exact moment and every other possible moment. But the firebird is never there. Not during, the concert (neither before or after Kahina goes on her expedition), not after and not before.

I've since replayed the first level and saw and heard the Austrian woman give it to Tatiana. I don't think my earlier assumption about the scarf holds. My new hypothesis is that at the time where Tatiana was supposed to put it in the bathroom cupboard, I was there, so the game bugged out and the egg/firebird just disappeared or maybe got stuck in her inventory.

Luckily this isn't all a waste of time, as I'm now eavesdropping on some insightful conversations I missed the first time around, because I was too busy exploring dead-ends. I just hope the game isn't bugged and I won't reach the same disappointment a second time around...

And a method to fast forward time wouldn't be so bad either.

Zovni (10504) on 4/28/2011 3:21 PM · Permalink · Report

That's odd. I wouldn't say the game is particularly bugged or difficult. The only problem with the game I can remember is that you have to solve the egg's puzzle or you get the bad ending (this is appart from finding and hiding it) and you have to backtrack a bit once you realize that. But nothing major really, I wouldn't say that its a game where you can get stuck easily.

vedder (70793) on 4/28/2011 3:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Bugs are very attracted to me. I always seem to run into the worst one for every game I play :(

Anyway, as I mentioned in another topic. It worked fine second time around. Great game and very much recommended.

Indra was here (20755) on 4/28/2011 6:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Bugs are very attracted to me. I always seem to run into the worst one for every game I play :( [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Hey, that's my line! :p

Out of curiosity. Are some of these holy #!%$%, batman, I'm stuck puzzles (e.g. forgot item have to backtrack two hours or so or passed a point of no return) made intentionally or just an oversight?

vedder (70793) on 4/28/2011 6:30 PM · Permalink · Report

In this game, it's definitely part of the game. It's all about rewinding time and investing your time differently, to discover new facts, spy on different people, etc. But usually the time rewound is relatively short.

In most other games, I'm pretty sure it's because a strong hatred of humanity on the designer's part :)