Join our Discord to chat with fellow friendly gamers and our knowledgeable video game historians!

Written by  :  Stijn Daneels (85)
Written on  :  Sep 05, 2014
Rating  :  4.17 Stars4.17 Stars4.17 Stars4.17 Stars4.17 Stars
read more reviews by Stijn Daneels

Summary

A guilty pleasure.

The Good

I have already played quite a few adventure games as a gamer, but Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards is one particular game that really stands out from the typical adventures made by Revolution, Lucas Arts or Sierra themselves. And that is mainly because of its style, presentation and laugh-out loud humor.

In this game you play as Larry Laffer and the objective of the game is to find the woman of your dreams! And that is it, no saving the world or finding a long lost treasure, just getting laid. Yeah baby! But Larry is not your typical womanizer, on the contrary. He is no pretty boy, neither is he someone with, as the French call it, savoir-faire. He is unhandy, nonathletic, shy and he is already balding well before his forties, not to mention that he is homeless, poor and unemployed. But despite all that, you cannot help but feel sympathy for Larry. Because behind his wacky appearance and clumsiness hides a good soul and most of the time his chances with the ladies get screwed up by nothing more than bad luck or by falling for the wrong women. He is a just a simple guy for who life has been quite harsh and who now finally decides to take control over his life and to find happiness and love. And let us not forget his iconic white leisure suit!

Gameplay-wise, Leisure Suit Larry plays like your typical late eighties Sierra adventure game. You move around using the keyboard's directional buttons and type in commands such as look, pick up, talk, etc. And there is a scoreboard, like in most classic Sierra adventure games. Do not expect to reach the full score by just doing the stuff you need to do to complete the story. You will have to explore and experiment with everyone and everything you encounter in the world of Larry. I wish this scoring mechanic remained in adventure games. since they give you a good reason to replay the game to find out what you missed the first time.

In my opinion, the best aspect of this game is the humor. And it is not juvenile humor or anything. Larry's humor consists mostly of sexual metaphors and just overall goofiness. Very often, the humor is nothing short of outrageous. One of my favorite scenes is in the store when you order condoms. I will not spoil it for you if you have not played this game yet, but you will certainly be laughing out loud!

The Bad

Like many Sierra games of that time, Leisure Suit Larry's gameplay consists of a lot of trial and error. You will have to look around a lot and because you do not have a cursor which marks all the important objects, improvising is quite a necessity.

If you dislike sexually themed humor, than stay away from this game like die hard Catholics avoid Slayer music. This is a game made by adults for adults with a healthy taste for entertainment with a little sexual flavor.

The Bottom Line

While I do not consider Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards the best adventure game of all time nor the best game in the Larry series, I would certainly recommend it to you even if you have just a little interest in the adventure genre. The game is, along with its VGA remake and the other classic Larry titles, available for a small fee on GOG.com so check it out.