Forums > Game Forums > MechWarrior > A split, perhaps

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/11/2009 7:23 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Haven't played either. But judging from the screenshots it seems the difference in two games are fairly substantial. How wrong am I?

EDIT: DOS and SNES games, obviously.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66360) on 8/11/2009 8:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Try them out and let us know your verdict! Definitely there are significant graphical differences, but despite extensive reskinning, I can't say that the gameplay looks too necessarily different.

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/11/2009 9:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Try them out and let us know your verdict!
[/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

And I did. The verdict is a definite split. Two different games by two different companies based around the same idea. The pilots you can hire/fire in the DOS version are absent in SNES, the texts, interface and missions are completely rewritten. You can visit every faction at the very start in DOS and limited to only a few missions in the SNES version. The shop is also completely restructured.

However, just I as anticipated, it doesn't solve anything, as my familiarity with either version is still rather poor to write a proper description for the SNES game and highlight all the differences.

So, I still hope for a proper MechWarrior fan to come along and lend a helping hand.

Foxhack (32100) on 8/11/2009 8:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Judging from those DOS screenshots, the game is the same. The only difference is in the graphics - the SNES version uses the system's Mode 7 to draw the battlefield and scale the enemy mechs (and there are no actual building drawn in the game, everything's flat on the floor). The PC version uses polygons to render the mechs and buildings.

A friend of mine owned the SNES version, and while it got annoying because I always overheated my mech, it was pretty fun to play.