Written by  :  Zovni (10638)
Written on  :  Oct 13, 2002

read more reviews by Zovni

Summary

Damned dirty apes... Again!! And even more so!!

The Good

Being a sequel to one of the true comedy classics of pc gaming is no easy task, it takes a great deal of creative talent to make a game that stands up to a record like that of the original Monkey Island, but fear not my pirate friend, Monkey Island 2 lives up to the legend and even surpasses it. With a completely twisted (and far darker) storyline, the sequel thrusts you back into the role of the now rich & famous Guybrush Treepwood and from that point on it's Rock & Roll time baby!!

The graphics have taken a major quality boost, with beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds and much more detailed character & object sprites. As far as puzzles are concerned this one is the perfect example of classic LucasArts adventuring genius, with puzzles that are often complex yet logical and incredibly entertaining. Yet what stands out from MI2 is the excellent comedic talent poured in it. Everything from clever dialogue writing to physical comedy (ever wonder how does an adventure character place big items like a dog in his "inventory"? :D) to even a edgier touch of juvenile humor (spitting contests! Yeah!!!), MI2 does it all and on top of that... it's got monkeys!!!!!!!

The Bad

Well I fall among the ones that DIDN'T like the ending. I didn't hate it, but I felt it pretty much sucked when compared to the rest of the game. Quite frankly it seems as if they had to tie up the game in a hurry and the final parts of the game (from the point you get shot from the cannon and on) feel more and more disjointed and, well, stitched toghether. And the ending itself feels completely slapped-on (think the new Planet of the Apes)

The Bottom Line

Twice the amount of monkeys means twice the amount of fun and comedy. This one would have been a winner even if it where a crappy MI1 follow-up, yet Gilbert and co. rose to the challenge and delivered an even bigger dose of Simian entertainment. It sort of comes appart at the end, but it's still a remarkable game and requiered playing.