Not an American user?
DescriptionThe united orc tribes have attempted to invade the region of Thorwal, but their plans were foiled by a group of valiant adventurers during their earlier quest. However, the orcs have regrouped and are planning to attack another, more vulnerable area. An elf ambassador summons the party to the city of Kvirasim. It appears that an artifact known as the Salamander Stone has to be recovered in order to unite the races of the elves and the dwarves in the struggle against a common enemy. Yet not everything is as simple as it seems: as the party advances towards an abandoned dwarven mine that may hold the answers to their questions, someone else makes it clear that cooperation between the two races is not desired by everyone in the country.
Star Trail is the second installment in a German-made role-playing series based on the RPG system Das Schwarze Auge ("The Dark Eye"). Visually and gameplay-wise, the game is very similar to its predecessor, with its pseudo-3D towns and dungeons, isometric battle screens, detailed options for tactical combat, as well as skill-based character creation and advancement. The sequel offers more side quests as well as more personalized and varied events during the party's travels, which often compel the player to make choices.
- "劍留痕" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "Realms of Arkania: Part II of the Northlands Trilogy - Star Trail" -- In-game title
- "Realms of Arkania 2 - Star Trail Classic" -- Steam re-release title
- "DSA 2" -- Common German abbreviation
- "Das Schwarze Auge: Sternenschweif" -- German title
- "Das Schwarze Auge: Die Nordland-Trilogie Teil II - Sternenschweif" -- German CD-ROM release title
Part of the Following Groups
- Fantasy Creatures: Dwarves
- Fantasy Creatures: Elves
- Fantasy Creatures: Orcs
- Gameplay feature: Alchemy
- Gameplay feature: Auto-mapping
- Gameplay feature: Brothels
- Gameplay feature: Importable characters
- Realms of Arkania / Das Schwarze Auge series
- Sound engine: AIL/Miles Sound System
- The Dark Eye / Das Schwarze Auge universe
|A very rich and complex classic||D Michael (232)|
|Now this is what I call an excellent RPG!||Indra was here (20905)|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Jul, 1994||11 out of 12||92|
|Coming Soon Magazine||Feb, 1995||91 out of 100||91|
|PC Games (Germany)||Jun, 1994||86 out of 100||86|
|PC Games (Germany)||Feb, 1995||85 out of 100||85|
|PC Player (Germany)||Aug, 1994||75 out of 100||75|
|Score||Dec, 1994||75 out of 100||75|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Dec, 1994||60|
|High Score||Apr, 1995||3 out of 5||60|
|Imperium Gier||Feb 10, 2000||60|
|Gambler||Jul, 1998||30 out of 100||30|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Very interesting.||3||Simoneer (37)
Sep 29, 2010
CompetitionThe image Elvenking during the end scene was inspired by David Bowie!. There was a contest about this image. The first player who would send the correct answer to the designers could win a prize.
ExtrasThe game comes with a large, coloured world map that contains all the important locations.
- A box saying "Wollt Ihr den Hebel umlegen" (do you want to use the lever). "Umlegen" can mean "to switch" or "to kill". If you use/umlegst the lever/Hebel a box says: "Now you've killed the Lever!"
- If you walk through a city, a sign may appear: "There is a sack of rise toppled down in Japan" or a longer story with a lot of NPCs and boxes saying: "Too much sulfur, too much sulfur...".
- You can construct a "Geldscheißer" - a Moneymaking-Pot. You need a lot of ingredients which you find throughout the game. But as soon as you have everything, the character with the most "greed-points" takes the "Geldscheißer" and runs away. With everything he has in his inventory. Years later - a box tells you - you meet this character again - he is rich, famous and pretty arrogant...
- "Eat more Cheese-Toast! Eat more Cheese-Toast" - in the game, you're confronted with this more or less wise advise. But why? The Developers had bought a cheese-toast-Toaster and they really, really loved it! So they wanted to put it in the game - somehow! So they created "Eat more Cheese-Toast! Eat more Cheese-Toast" that appears all the time.
ManualThe English Manual is immensly humorous. Here are some entries in the manual worth noting:
(Page 8 - Diary Screenshot)
...I wonder if anyone will actually read the text I put into this screenshot. Does anyone ever read manuals anyway? Hmm.
The first person to say in writing, "I saw this in the Star Trail manual", gets a free hint book.
In fond memory of Pumpkin Man
Lost in Memphis, Tennessee on March 23, 1994.
Presumed with Elvis at Graceland.
$100.00 Reward Offered (or Free Games).
PromotionBecause of several prizes which the game was awarded with during the CES in Las Vegas there was a special offer for German customers lasting from March 15, 1995 to May 91, 1995: Everyone who ordered the game directly from the developer got a free game T-Shirt.
- The game was originally released as a floppy disk version, with a speech pack sold separately. Afterwards, the game was re-released on CD-ROM with the speech pack included and enhanced graphics.
- The German CD-ROM release came on two discs, featuring expanded CD-Audio tracks of all the music. The U.S. CD-ROM release came on only one disc, using the same MIDI music as the floppy disk version.
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1995 – Best RPG in 1994
Related Web Sites
- DSA - Die Nordlandtrilogie ( mostly german ) (The biggest German fan-page of the Realms of Arkania Trilogy. Contains just about everything you need to about the trilogy. Maps, items, bug lists, patches, tips and tips & tricks, etc... It probably is the most complete database about the trilogy on the web. Unfortunately the the site is in German, but there is some effort at the moment to translate the major parts into English. Already done are the maps. )
Alexander Schaefer (2542) added Realms of Arkania: Star Trail (DOS) on Mar 08, 2001
Other platforms contributed by Patrick Bregger (250174)
Credits (101 people)
77 developers, 24 thanks
Vadim Pietrzynski, Bernd Karwath, Peter Heutling, Klaus Hoffmeister, Robert Jacquet, Sascha Jungnickel, Orlando PetermannCombat Scenarios: