Written by  :  Tomer Gabel (4643)
Written on  :  Mar 28, 2000

read more reviews by Tomer Gabel

Summary

Quite horrible, really.

The Good

Nothing is really good about Phantasmagoria... the only thing that really made me freeze in awe with this game is the fact that it comes on 7 seperate CDs -- which is not necessarily a good thing, but definitely scary.

The Bad

Terrible acting on the actors' side, a pretty dumb storyline, completely unproportional scenario design (why is it that every house has to be a lot bigger on the inside than it is on the outside?), passable graphics as best and same goes for the music and horrible gameplay.
What's worse is, the game isn't even remotely scary!

I believe Phantasmagoria was a complete flop in every respect, which is a shame considering that its wonderful sequel Phantasmagoria II: A Puzzle of Flesh wasn't really a sequel at all, but rather a redefinition of the genre.

Too bad Sierra didn't put as much effort into this game as they did with their other masterpieces.

The Bottom Line

A pretty bad adventure game that takes up a ridiculous amount of space without a good reason. If you expect to find spine-tingling horror video sequences here, you'd be more than disappointed.