Written by  :  Paul Budd (403)
Written on  :  Sep 09, 2000
Rating  :  2.75 Stars2.75 Stars2.75 Stars2.75 Stars2.75 Stars
read more reviews by Paul Budd

Summary

Slightly less fun than a having your nostrils waxed !

The Good

The music in the game is fantastic. The "in-between" shots, those that appear immediately after a race showing you the results are pretty decent (no full-motion video, just still-shots of various vehicle scenes). It does offer the chance to drive a Hummer (but more about that in a moment).

The Bad

Where do I begin? Ok, Ok, I know the game was released in 1997, but I KNOW they could've done better than this! First, let's just begin with graphics: I'm running this game on a monster-fast Pentium II rig......so to be fair, there's no slow-down that I've experienced, BUT there's frequently this strange herkie-jerkie nature to the screens, whether there are several vehicles present or not; it's really difficult to explain, but it's truly weird. Also, whenever you hit another vehicle, tree or whatever, these little goofy-looking triangles pop out (I suppose they're suppose to be debris). The vehicle handling is vaguely acceptable, except sometime the vehicles seem just a little TOO bouncy (especially the Hummer) to come even close to being realistic. This game had amazing potential, and you can tell that a little thought went into the various career modes, but overall, it's a significant letdown. Honestly, spend your money on something else.

The Bottom Line

A pathetic attempt to "ricochet" off of the Test Drive series. This game had potential, but it just failed to deliver.