Ugh! (DOS)

Also For
Written by  :  Zovni (10638)
Written on  :  Mar 13, 2003
read more reviews by Zovni

Summary

Ugh means fun!

The Good

The concept is simple: Remember that Lander game where you control a lunar landing module's thrusters and have to negotiate a safe landing by fighting against gravity and inertia (think the mini-game on The Dig if you have no idea what I'm talking about)? Well, that's essentially what Ugh! is, except the whole concept is applied to one of those cute puzzle games with little cute graphics and a gazillion levels (sort of like Lemmings, get it?).

The premise is that you are a caveman in control of an elevator/helicopter hybrid, which controls just like the aforementioned landing module (you press up and you get vertical lift, left/right and you move sideways), and you have to play taxi to the various other cavemen in each level, taking them to wherever in the screen they say. Usually this involves going through some dangerous ravines or really low ceilings and negotiating difficult turns in addition to securing a soft landing. Clip the cave walls and you are gone, come down too hard and you are gone, drop your customer and you are gone.

It's simple, and it's tremendous low-budget fun that can fit on a single disk and you can take to any office anywhere. Later levels add other challenges like angry dinos and more customers, but the gameplay premise never gets old and it's the perfect example of the good ol' reflex-coordination puzzle/arcade game that never lets down.

The Bad

The graphics are functional enough, but there is a major sense of repetition in them. Quite frankly I wouldn't be able to tell the levels appart if I saw them from a distance, they are all some light-browned cave-thing.... C'mon folks, a little variety never hurted anyone.

The Bottom Line

Great fun in a little tiny package. Lander goes back to the stone age and it entertaining as hell. And it's just the thing to show off what your brand new 512k cache 3.0Ghz Pentium computer can do!!