🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger > A question about EA Classics release.

Virgil (8563) on 12/6/2007 10:04 PM · Permalink · Report

I got this game off ebay and somewhat unsure if everything is here or something is missing. It's later EA CD-ROM Classics re-release in a black box with blue cover(see covers section) and besides of four CDs here's: WC3 install guide and reference card, brochure with specs of in-game starships, troubleshooting addendum, additional troubleshooting addendum and a paper addressed to Windows 95 user, BUT no manual and some "Victory Streak" book included in original WC3 release. So, could anyone confirm if I'm missing some content?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 12/6/2007 10:18 PM · Permalink · Report

I have the CD-ROM classics "Gold Edition" (which I see there's no screenshot for... time to fire up the scanner)

I actually have less goodies than you do - just 4 CDs, registration card, promo for $25 off WC4, and a ratty-looking "Read Me First!" booklet on cheap paper with no cover. 28 pages of install and troubleshooting info.

On the front page of this booklet the statement "Documentation is provided on-line." Page 24 is an order form for the printed manual, at a cost of $5.

Copyright on this one is 1997. So this version of the CD-ROM Classics definitely has no manual, or supplemental books (like the ship's newsletters from previous games in the series). My guess is you've got everything for your set.

Virgil (8563) on 12/6/2007 11:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the explanation, I won't write to that seller now, but I feel myself deprived anyway. It's kind of strange, that there's no even documentation in pdf on disk. I also checked my install guide and it says: "This Box Contains: 4 CDs, Install Guide, Victory Streak Manual, Playguide, Catalogues." I don't know what to think now, maybe here's someone else, who got exactly same version of game as me? And here's a picture of what I got.

Yearman (29592) on 12/7/2007 12:46 AM · Permalink · Report

The manual is missing. You can find another picture of the classics release at www.thelegacy.de

Virgil (8563) on 12/7/2007 1:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah, I checked this site first, but haven't noticed multiple goodies photos.

Shoddyan (15003) on 12/11/2007 8:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Check the contents of the CDroms themselves. I can't speak for Wing Commander III in particular (I have the Premiere Pack), but other EA CD-ROM Classics re-releases often contain the documentation as PDF files on the CD-ROM.

I believe the booklet is similar to other Wing Commander games, in that the majority is "atmosphere" story articles, with the last 1/3rd of the booklet actually containing stuff that's instructional for gameplay.

Virgil (8563) on 12/19/2007 11:04 PM · Permalink · Report

I've checked all Cds and there are no any manuals and all files are dated 1994.

Shoddyan (15003) on 12/30/2007 2:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Virgil wrote--]I've checked all Cds and there are no any manuals and all files are dated 1994. [/Q --end Virgil wrote--]

Well sorry to hear that, I know I've bought "Classics" editions of other games (Syndicate Plus, Theme Park, Wing Commander: Privateer) and the game manuals were all stored in PDF on the cd itself. On the bright side, our friends at replacementdocs seem to have copies of everything for WC3...

Take that Thrakkah!

P.S. Todd Wilson makes a good Maniac... though where did all his piercings from WC2 go?

St. Martyne (3648) on 12/30/2007 9:50 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--]

P.S. Todd Wilson makes a good Maniac... though where did all his piercings from WC2 go? [/Q --end WildKard wrote--]

That's nothing. The main problem for me was to acknowledge John-Rhys Davis as Paladin. I believe there's a reason that he's never seen in the cockpit.

Shoddyan (15003) on 1/2/2008 8:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--] [Q2 --start WildKard wrote--]

P.S. Todd Wilson makes a good Maniac... though where did all his piercings from WC2 go? [/Q2 --end WildKard wrote--]

That's nothing. The main problem for me was to acknowledge John-Rhys Davis as Paladin. I believe there's a reason that he's never seen in the cockpit. [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--]

I agree. I'm a big fan of John Rhys-Davies and his long long credits sheet on IMDB but having said that, I have a hard time believing that he's Paladin. And it's not just the blonde hair and missing mustache. To be fair though.... I don't think Paladin ever gets into the cockpit in WC3... he seems content to plan the campaigns rather than fly them as he did in WC1 and WC2... now that I think about it, that's the role he took in WC2's expansion also. He's more believable in WC4 as "Senator Taggart" but I think it probably would have been better for everyone if they had just made up a new character for John to play, rather than have him playing an existing character. Could have been the number 2 guy of Paladin's operation.

John Rhys-Davies does get into the cockpit in Freelancer... but that's a game without video actors.... so, the voice is the only part of him there.

Terok Nor (42005) on 1/2/2008 9:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Paladin did retire from flying in the WC1 addons, and WC2 is ten years or so later and WC3 some years more. So it's not too much of a stretch, apart from the looks (but hey, Mark Hamill didn't have blue hair either).

Shoddyan (15003) on 1/2/2008 9:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terok Nor wrote--]Paladin did retire from flying in the WC1 addons, and WC2 is ten years or so later and WC3 some years more. So it's not too much of a stretch, apart from the looks (but hey, Mark Hamill didn't have blue hair either). [/Q --end Terok Nor wrote--]

Of course Paladin doesn't fly in the Wing Commander Movie either (I think he commands the intelligence division... details are hazy due to my inability to watch it without getting angry).... but frankly you can write off most of the people who starred in that as bad casting for their characters. :)

No blonde hair there either

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/3/2008 2:29 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--] details are hazy due to my inability to watch it without getting angry [/Q --end WildKard wrote--]

Yes. "Wing Commander" The Movie was like a drop from the heaven (especially after AAAAA-class performance of McDowell and Hamill) straight to the pits of Hades. Everything - sets, story, actors, writing - felt as if it was a cheap video-game tie in. What an irony!

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/3/2008 2:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--] John Rhys-Davies does get into the cockpit in Freelancer... but that's a game without video actors.... so, the voice is the only part of him there. [/Q --end WildKard wrote--]

Freelacer is "guilty" of some outstanding acting as well. They even have gotten Takei and Hale in!

I need to replay one of this days. As I remember, the story was quite interesting, even if it lacked the freedom of Privateer and Freespace.