DescriptionA party of adventurers in what appears to be a medieval fantasy world called Varn is looking for an entrance to the highly coveted Inner Sanctum. Before long the heroes realize that one of the four kings that rule the countries of Varn is in fact an impostor, a creature from outer space. Their task is to find the real king and ultimately stop the mysterious space traveler, revealing the truth about the world's origin in the process.
The Secret of the Inner Sanctum is a role-playing game and the first installment in the Might and Magic series. Core gameplay concept is similar to that of Wizardry games, though the game does not focus solely on dungeon crawling and features overworld areas and towns that can be physically navigated. In this way the game resembles The Bard's Tale, though it has a significantly larger playing environment with several towns. The entire game is viewed from first-person perspective, and the game environment consists of maze-like passages made with pseudo-3D graphics.
In the beginning of the game, the player creates a party of six adventurers. There are six classes to choose from: knight, robber, sorcerer, cleric, paladin, and archer. Each character has six main attributes: might, endurance, accuracy, personality, intelligence, and luck, with each class requires proficiency in a specific attribute for effective functioning. There are also five races to choose from: humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, and half-orcs.
As in most RPGs, the gameplay revolves around exploring the game world and leveling up to be able to proceed to the story-advancing challenges. The party starts in a particularly weak state, equipped with only clubs and having no money. The player is free to explore most of the game's locations in any order, and there are few hints as to what needs to be done to advance the plot. Turn-based battles against randomly appearing enemies typically take place against a group of monsters more or less equal in size to the player-controlled party, but enemy reinforcements can appear once their comrades have been slain. It is also possible to try and bribe enemies or surrender to them before entering combat.
The game has no auto-mapping feature of any kind and it is only possible to save the player's progress at inns located in towns.
The TurboGrafx CD version of this game has significant differences.
- "魔法門" -- Traditional Chinese spelling
- "Меч и Магия" -- Russian spelling
- "Mech i Magija" -- Russian title
Part of the Following Groups
- Fantasy Creatures: Dragons
- Fantasy Creatures: Dwarves
- Fantasy Creatures: Orcs
- Fantasy Creatures: Trolls
- Games made into books
- Might and Magic series
- Might and Magic universe
There are no reviews for the FM-7 release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
- Computer Gaming World
- August 1988 (Issue #50) – Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) - #23 in the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
Related Web Sites
- Commodore 64 Boxed Sets (For C64: game packaging digitalisations. Include box, manual, brochure, additional material.)
- DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS (Compatibility statistics page between DOSBox versions and the original game.)
- Fander Treespook`s Grove of Might & Magic (MM1 Section) (A collection of maps, quests, spells and monsters from the Land of Varn.)
- Lemon 64 (For Commodore 64: game entry database; advertisement; magazine reviews; music; documentation; cover art; additional material.)
- Macintosh Garden, an abandonware games archive (For Macintosh: reviews; game packaging; downloadable releases; manual; screenshots; additional material.)
- MSX Generation (For MSX: game database entry; game packaging; manuals; additional material.)
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Encyclopaedic entry for combined platforms.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.