Forums > Game Forums > Gadget: Invention, Travel & Adventure > correction submitted years ago...No DOS Version!

eXo (346) on 7/28/2014 3:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I really don't get it. There are so many games on here listed with a DOS version simply because the system requirements state, "DOS and Windows 3.1" under the OS. Do we have people contributing these games that don't understand the relationship between a DOS game and a game running in Win 3.1 on DOS? That does not make it a DOS game.

A DOS game runs with just DOS. A Win 3.1 game runs in Win 3.1 installed on a DOS machine. If the criteria is that a game is for DOS simply because Win 3.1 is in DOS, then you might as well add DOS as a compatible OS to every single Win 3.1 game on the website.

Old management on this site was horrible about this stuff. I'm hoping new management cares a little bit more about it. If it wasn't such a complete PITA to get this stuff fixed, then I'd put some time into it. As it stands, submitting 20 corrections, have 2 go through, and getting a barrage of questions pumping me for more info (such as asking me if it is a Win 3.1 game or Win95 game [which can be a tricky distinction considering some early w95 games could run in 3.1 with Win32] instead of simply removing the DOS OS defeats the entire point of submitting a correction).

edit: worth mentioning that other, more recent reports I've filed, have been handled very quickly. It is just really frustrating to see so many corrections I filed never went anywhere.

Nélio (1976) on 7/28/2014 4:04 PM · Permalink · Report

So you're complaining that we let anything go through, but then it's a complete PITA to submit a correction because we ask too many questions?

We want the DB to be accurate as much as you do, it's just that there are hundreds (I'm avoiding the word 'thousands' on purpose) of pending corrections that we're still going through and this stuff takes time. And the people submitting contributions, as well as the ones approving it, are just human. If the game does mention that it requires both DOS and Windows 3.1 then it should be in the Windows 3.1 category. Pretty easy to miss when you're handling a ton of submissions. Not a life threatening crime.

Also, did we have the Windows 3.1 platform from the start? I don't know. The DOS version of this game was added in 2001 and I don't know if we had the separate Win 3.1 platform back then or not. If not, then it would actually make sense to submit it as a DOS game. Even if this is unlikely, it serves to provide one more example of why this entry could have been incorrectly filled.

Please submit a correction if you haven't done so. I promise we'll get to it... eventually. :-)

Patrick Bregger (301024) on 7/28/2014 4:15 PM · Permalink · Report

The platforms Windows, Windows 3.x, DOS, PC Booter and Linux were introduced in October 1999.

Terok Nor (42005) on 7/28/2014 4:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start eXo wrote--]Do we have people contributing these games that don't understand the relationship between a DOS game and a game running in Win 3.1 on DOS? [/Q --end eXo wrote--]

Unfortunately we do.

In any case, IIRC we discussed a similar case before. When I sent it back to you asking about 16/32-bit Windows, it would have no problem if you had replied "I don't know, but please remove DOS, that's incorrect no matter what".

The correction has now been made. The 16/32-bit question remains.

Fred VT (25953) on 7/28/2014 5:08 PM · Permalink · Report

In fact, how do we know if a game is a DOS game or a Win3.1 game that runs on DOS?

Terok Nor (42005) on 7/28/2014 5:10 PM · Permalink · Report

To be absolutely certain: only from looking at the executables.