🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol. I > Has anyone played this?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/19/2011 5:06 PM · Permalink · Report

I've completed the enormous Shire, full of side-quests and treasure to find, and must say this game turns out to be much better than I thought. It's a Lord of the Rings game and it was made by Interplay, so I thought the fact nobody ever mentions it must mean it's really terrible - otherwise it would be bound to become a hit. Well, it's far from being terrible.

Though I can see that the floppy version must have been less inspiring - no automap, and bloody manual passages to read (one big reason why I could never get into Wasteland...). Also, the CD version has snippets of the 70's Bakshi cartoon - awesome!

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/20/2011 4:52 AM · Permalink · Report

I played it. To me it felt like a poorly done Ultima 6 clone. The characters moved to slow, interacting with the world and npc's was uncomfortable and the colors made me sick.

I love the atmosphere of Bakshi's Lord of the Rings, and I love the way those decades - 60's and 70's - interpreted Lord of the Rings and fantasy in general. And the game obviously follows that. But it's just too damn ugly.

:/

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/19/2011 5:24 PM · Permalink · Report

And apparently your experience pretty much matches mine. Nice review. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 10/20/2011 10:01 AM · Permalink · Report