Not an American user?
DescriptionIt has been 32 years since GTA lost contact with Earth. As a young pilot joining the fleet of the GTVA (Galactic Terran-Vasudan Alliance), you will be fighting the Neo-Terran Front, a rebel faction that opposes GTA's alliance with the Vasudans. Then the Shivans showed up again...
Freespace 2 is basically an enhanced version of Freespace. You get better ships (you can fly all the older ships if you like), more and more powerful weapons (both guns and missiles), and capital ships that can actually put up a fight with their anti-fighter beam cannons, turrets, flak, and missile launchers.
The capital ships now also engage each other with large beam cannons that shoots beams wider than your craft; these beams can shoot through enemy ships. Contribute to the fight by flying bombers (with large anti-ship torpedoes) or fly defense and take out the enemy bombers. Fly escort missions to protect assets, recon enemy assets, test new weapons, even fly a few missions for spec-ops (optional).
The game features full multiplayer support at PXO (Parallax Online) and SquadWars.com, with co-op, team-based, or free-for-all dogfight, with many different missions to choose from. It also includes FRED2, a full featured editor that you can use to create your own missions and campaigns.
Part of the Following Groups
- Freespace series
- Games that include map/level editor
- Games with officially released source code
- Genre: Simulation - Space combat
|The next big thing on Sci-fi sims, and I do mean BIG!||Zovni (10633)|
|The greatest of the newer space-sims||MojoHelperMonkey (42)|
|Now I hate myself for not playing Freespace 1||Heikki Sairanen (115)|
|Boom.||Derrick 'Knight' Steele (2419)|
|Gamezilla||Nov 09, 1999||97 out of 100||97|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||Nov 29, 1999||91 out of 100||91|
|Game Revolution||Oct 01, 1999||A-||91|
|CPU Gamer||Oct 26, 2002||9 out of 10||90|
|Adrenaline Vault, The (AVault)||Nov 11, 1999||90|
|GameStar (Germany)||Dec, 1999||87 out of 100||87|
|PC Joker||Jan, 2000||83 out of 100||83|
|PC Gaming World||Dec, 1999||80|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Oct 15, 1999||7 out of 10||70|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
May 18, 2007
1001 Video GamesFreespace 2 appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Source code releaseThe source code was made available to the public in 2002. This means the community could use it for mods and update it graphically. It is also used as engine for standalone fangames like Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn.
- Computer Gaming World
- March 2000 (Issue #188) – Science Fiction Simulation of the Year
- 1999 - Sim Game of the Year
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/2000 - Best Science-Fiction Simulation in 1999
Related Web Sites
- Freespace 2 Source Code Project (The project works for improving the graphics and gameplay)
- Freespace watch (Freespace news and files)
- Game Warden (Forum for Freespace fans (clans, modding, new campaigns))
- Hard Light Productions (Community Center (forum, mods, total conversions, fan fiction and art))
- www.freespace2.com (official website from 2000, preserved by the Wayback Machine)
Heikki Sairanen (115) added Freespace 2 (Windows) on Feb 09, 2000
Credits (166 people)
159 developers, 7 thanks