DescriptionStreets of Rage, Sega's answer to Final Fight, follows the story of three young police officers (Adam Hunter, Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding) in a city controlled by a criminal syndicate led by a "Mr. X" where crime is rampant, which leads the three heroes to make a pact to leave the force and topple the syndicate by themselves.
Gameplay is straightforward and simple. Three buttons are used, one to jump, other to attack and another to perform a range attack from a support police car. Each character has a limited set of moves that include punching and kicking or performing a back attack (if in the open), two grapple moves (depending if holding the opponent in front or by the back), a flying attack, and if playing with another player two additional tag attacks, and different abilities: Adam is slow, but a good jumper and a hard hitter, Axel fast and also a hard hitter, but a lousy jumper and Blaze fast and a good jumper, but weak hitter. Levels are in typical arcade side-scroller fashion: move from left to right (with two exceptions), clearing screens from enemies one after another as fast as possible while avoid taking damage with a boss in the end. Some levels feature "death drops" where the player must avoid falling, while throwing enemies there at the same time, including a typical elevator level. Several items are scattered on the ground, from melee weapons and bonus points (and lives or additional police cars) to apples and turkeys (to restore health).
- "ベア・ナックル 怒りの鉄拳" -- Japanese spelling
- "Streets of Rage Classic" -- Android / iOS title
- "SoR" -- Informal abbreviation
- "DSWAT" -- Working title
- "Bare Knuckle: Ikari no Tekken" -- Japanese title
- "3D Streets of Rage" -- Nintendo 3DS title
- "스트리트 오브 레이지 (베어너클)" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Games referenced in movies
- SEGA Forever series
- SEGA Vintage Collection series
- Streets of Rage / Bare Knuckle series
There are no reviews for the Game Gear release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|GamePro (US)||Jul, 1993||4.5 out of 5||90|
|Hobby Consolas||Dec, 1992||89 out of 100||89|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Mar, 1993||10 out of 12||83|
|Video Games||Nov, 1992||81 out of 100||81|
|Mean Machines||Nov, 1992||80 out of 100||80|
|Power Play||Dec, 1992||72 out of 100||72|
|All Game Guide||2007||60|
|Retro Archives||Jul 02, 2017||11 out of 20||55|
|Retro Game Reviews||Dec 18, 2015||30|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|DSWAT||5||雷堂嬢太朗 -raido.jotaro- (60760)
Jul 20, 2013
- Many in-game sounds and even the main font were lifted directly from Revenge of Shinobi.
- In difficult situations, you can press the 'special attack' button. A cop will drive by in a car and set the entire environment on fire with a rocket launcher. The artwork of the police car may look familiar, it's exactly the same car used in E-SWAT: Cyber Police, an older SEGA arcade title which also got converted to the Mega Drive.
- The game is referenced in the second episode of the second season of the US Netflix series Narcos. Pablo Escobar can be seen playing the game with his son on a Genesis system. He gives his son instructions and comments on having to fight a woman.
ReleaseOne of the few games to be packed in with the Genesis.
Soundtrack on vinyl LPIn summer 2015, Data Discs released a vinyl soundtrack with the remastered soundtrack from the game. The remasterings were done in collaboration with the composer of the original game tracks Yuzo Koshiro. The LP features 16 tracks, 8 on each side. The recording were made from the original NEC PC-88 files, as well as a sampling from the Yamaha YM2612 chip of the Mega Drive/Genesis console.
(Source: Product description on Data Discs website, LP at Discogs)
Information also contributed by Jo and Robbb
Related Web Sites
- Game Map (Game Gear) on SMS Power! (Level maps of all the levels in the Game Gear version.)
- Game Map (Sega Master System) on SMS Power! (Maps of all the levels of the Master Systems version of the game.)
- OC ReMix Game Profile (Fan remixes of music from Streets of Rage.)