Written by  :  Sycada (191)
Written on  :  Jul 06, 2001

read more reviews by Sycada

Summary

Not really Alone in the Dark.

The Good

Considering this is a gameboy we're talking about here, the graphics are very impressive. The camera angles are still here but carnby is a 2d sprite this time. There's still a bit of adventuring to do and it's an interesting game to see even if you've played through another incarnation of AitD because unlike the DC, PC and PS versions which are all the exact same game with variations in graphic quality, the gbc version is more like a remix and plays very differently. In fact, it shouldn't really be called the same thing since it's significantly changed in so many ways that it's not the same at all.

The Bad

The graphics, while pushing the gbc to its limits appear very washed out and hard to see. The sound is awful as it is for every game for the system and there is NO horror anywhere in sight. Also, the game switches to a isometric battle mode when a monster approaches. This is probably due to the nature of the gbc graphical abilities but the resulting encounters are tedious and not very much fun. Most of the puzzles have been inexplicably chopped from this version and this results in more of a case of walk to the next battle than anything else so we are sadly spared any real detective work.

The Bottom Line

Even though it bears the same box art and name as it's counterparts, it is NOT the same game. It's by no means bad and for a gbc game it's actually alright, but only so long as you're aware... it's got NOTHING on the other versions.