Written by  :  Kartanym (12768)
Written on  :  Dec 06, 2004
Platform  :  GameCube

read more reviews by Kartanym

Summary

A gem ... so sadly ignored

The Good

To tell you the truth, I wasn't expecting that much from Beyond Good & Evil when I first heard about it. Coming from the same brainmatter that brought Rayman to life, I considered it another platform game with a little French humour and some fairly decent game time.

Boy was I wrong.

BG&E is an entertaining and enjoyable title that mixes a range of different genres together into one tidy little package. The presentation is second to none, arguably one of the better looking titles for some time thanks to its colourful cast of characters and the detail of the created world within. Think the detail of Ocarina of Time with some of that already mentioned Rayman zany humour, and a dash of Splinter Cell to boot.

The Bad

Every game has its problems, of course. I found some of the camera controls to be a little iffy at times, but every title in the known universe of platform games has had its fair share of issues with this (hell, Mario 64 did too).

The Bottom Line

It's a crying shame that so many gamers didn't take BG&E on, simply because it wasn't a brand named title. It isn't in the minority either, since there have been other games in a similar class of brilliance that didn't trouble the charts (Sony's Ico comes to mind). It isn't out of a lack of trying though, as Ubi Soft have published a fantastic title. Just a crying shame so many looked over it upon release.

If you haven't tried Beyond Good & Evil thus yet, then now's the best chance as any to pick it up on the cheap. It's a platform title with a distinct difference, and it deserves all the respect it can get.