Written by  :  Andrew Fisher (669)
Written on  :  Dec 05, 2018
Platform  :  Genesis
read more reviews by Andrew Fisher

Summary

Maybe best platformer ever, in my book

The Good

I think the problem solving based gameplay is great. Obviously this game is like Prince of Persia and Another World (previous Delphine Game), but I think Flashback outdoes them. Another World had a great story, told through cut scenes, but the platforming and problem solving wasn't so great. I think in Flashback you get the sense that the game makers want to challenge you, but they also want you to succeed and beat the game. The game's cut-scenes are good and unlike Another World, there is also text to explain the story. Very good music too, co-composed by French pop composer Jean Baudlot.

The Bad

The combat in the last stage of the game could have been thought through better and improved. Dodging the blue aliens is a fun challenge, but there are tight spots where it's so hard to dodge and have proper battles. Also I think Conrad is a bit slow at drawing and pointing his gun.

The Bottom Line

Based on what I've played, I could probably call this the best platformer ever. Intelligent combat and problem solving and good cut-scenes and music.