Written by  :  Ryan Johnson (15)
Written on  :  Apr 26, 2016
Platform  :  Genesis
Rating  :  4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars4.33 Stars
read more reviews by Ryan Johnson

Summary

Classic Genesis action that holds up today!

The Good

Here's the good about Revenge of the Shinobi. The graphics have actually aged pretty well. It has nice, detailed backgrounds and sprites. The music is very memorable and is hard to forget. The cameos in the game may surprise you, so keep an eye out for some you may recognize. While game play seeming simple, the environments will have variety requiring you to adapt to each level's design. It provides you with a special aerial move and 4 shinobi spells. The ninja you see in the opening of the game, is none other than the legendary Sonny Chiba. Being a launch title, you will be impressed by the level of detail in this game.

The Bad

What stood out for me I did not like, was the controls. they may feel clunky or slow on your first couple of plays. Without spoiling, there will be 1 or 2 obstacles you will come across that will halt your progress. Probably requiring practice and may eat at your lives.

The Bottom Line

Revenge of the Shinobi is one the quality games on the Genesis, you do not want to miss out on. It is an official Sega original, allowing you to stomp, leap, and chop your way to gaining your revenge.