Forums > Game Forums > Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project > Very underrated.

DNMP (178) on 12/11/2011 4:36 PM · Permalink · Report

I used to play this game to death when it came out, and again two years later. The graphics seemed awesome to me back then and something about it was so addicting that I ended up beating it (literally) over 30 times.

Hell, my username's initials stand for this game. I reinstalled it again this year and it was still solid, even if it has aged quite a bit. There are some Duke fans who share my love for this game, but overall it is quite underappreciated.

Does anybody know why this game was overlooked? I always thought it would be awesome if a Manhattan Project sequel was made, especially after the atrocious Duke Nukem: Critical Mass by those fake Apogee squatters.

leilei (343) on 12/12/2011 2:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Budget non-3DR title. It's not Duke Forever = overlooked.

I don't see why this is supposed to be a mystery.

chirinea (47496) on 12/12/2011 3:27 AM · Permalink · Report

I beat this one last September, it was sitting in my backlog for years. It is a great game indeed.

vedder (70767) on 12/12/2011 8:18 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah I had fun playing it when it came out. The only decent Duke game to come out post Duke Nukem 3D unfortunately. I wouldn't call it a classic though.

"Makin' Bacon!"

Parf (7873) on 12/12/2011 10:19 AM · Permalink · Report

They did release it for Xbox Live Arcade, so there must have been some sort of following demanding to have it on more platforms.

... or maybe they did it to tide people over while DNF was delayed... again!

DNMP (178) on 12/12/2011 5:18 PM · Permalink · Report

I haven't played it, but I've heard the XBLA port is bugged. Also, the reviewers all blasted it, whereas DNMP initially got positive reviews way back in 2002.

Yeah, it is a budget title, but considering Duke3D's popularity... should've been even more.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 12/13/2011 4:56 AM · Permalink · Report

I think that 2002 was a time where the FPS frenzy was particularly extreme, and most players simply didn't even glance at games that didn't show a BFG at the lower screen border—especially if it said Duke Nukem on the box.

I also have the game and loved it very much. Loved the idea of continuing the platform heritage of The Duke separately, and it was really quite well done.

They should consider making another of these, now that platformers are socially acceptable again.