🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Final Fantasy VII > You know, I just realized something...

Lance Boyle (1532) on 8/24/2010 6:58 PM · Permalink · Report

I realized that maybe the PC port of this (and FFVIII) pretty much caused the Eidos/Square relationship (and buyout from Square's side) that happened at the beginning of 2009. So, if you see the Square-Enix logo alongside Eidos' on Kane & Lynch 2, a brand new Hitman (if they're developing one), the sequel to Arkham Asylum, the new Deus Ex or any other new release based on an Eidos brand or game, thank Square for it!

Yeah, a rather stupid post, but I think it's a rather interesting idea of how it happened, because, who do you think would have bought Eidos when they were in financial problems (it was because of that, right?) at the beginning of the year? And, now that I remember, Eidos also published Dragon Warrior Monsters (or however the heck it was called) outside of Japan, so they were related to both Square and Enix

leilei (343) on 8/24/2010 10:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That's a coincidence. Be glad there wasn't a SquareEnix + EA merger from FF8.

Though, since this, it seems the Eidos portion is exploiting the Square brand to faux-japan up their europey games. It might get worse.

Lance Boyle (1532) on 8/26/2010 1:53 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start leileilol wrote--]That's a coincidence. Be glad there wasn't a SquareEnix + EA merger from FF8.

Though, since this, it seems the Eidos portion is exploiting the Square brand to faux-japan up their europey games. It might get worse. [/Q --end leileilol wrote--]I think you're right. For example, I heard that Square-Enix's CGI animation studio is making the cutscenes for the new Deus Ex game. Still, we hope that we don't end up seeing redesigns of Hitman, Lara Croft, Kane and Lynch or other Eidos characters done by the illustrator(s) of the Final Fantasy series (or even Akira Toriyama redesigns, although a Toriyama-ised Hitman would be sweet. Although we hope that he doesn't end up making a mix between Krillin and Agent 47)

And I just realized that what I just said is absolutely ridiculous

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 8/26/2010 3:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start M4R14N0 wrote--]...a Toriyama-ised Hitman would be sweet. [/Q --end M4R14N0 wrote--]I support this!

Also, Rocksteady's Arkham Asylum sequel is being published by WB. Squeenixdos has nothing to do with it. They kinda just fell into the first one when it was almost finished anyway.

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/26/2010 5:27 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start M4R14N0 wrote--] Still, we hope that we don't end up seeing redesigns of Hitman, Lara Croft, Kane and Lynch or other Eidos characters done by the illustrator(s) of the Final Fantasy series (or even Akira Toriyama redesigns, although a Toriyama-ised Hitman would be sweet. [/Q --end M4R14N0 wrote--] How can you just say something like that without a warning for the faint of stomach or something? I mean FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAN! And I thought "2 girls 1 cup" was as disgusting as the internets could get D=

If there ever is a version of Hitman starring some purple-haired whiny boy with a talking stuffed animal for a sidekick, I'm gonna go to your house and stab you in the middle of the nose with a bent butter knife >=(

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95185) on 8/26/2010 7:40 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--] If there ever is a version of Hitman starring some purple-haired whiny boy with a talking stuffed animal for a sidekick, I'm gonna go to your house and stab you in the middle of the nose with a bent butter knife >=( [/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--] That sounds more like the domain of Tite Kubo or Tetsuya Nomura than Akira Toriyama. Toriyama is all about the burly men grunting at each other. And pink anthropomorphized poop.