Forums > Game Forums > Plants vs. Zombies > Screenshots resolution too high

Geamandura (2326) on 5/9/2009 10:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Hi. Constructive criticism: while the screenshots are pretty nice, it's a bad idea the resolution in which they were taken is so high. I'm saying this because you can obviously see that the game's bitmaps are upscaled which makes the screenshots look worse than whatever the original resolution had been. I mean I understand that with 3D games, but in 2D games when the bitmaps look like this... not so good idea.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 5/9/2009 11:30 AM · Permalink · Report

They don't look bad, but they definitely look like they've been resized.

Sciere (927149) on 5/9/2009 11:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Are you sure you haven't enabled "Automatically enlarge smaller screenshots (320x200, etc.)" in the preferences of your profile on MobyGames? Generally all screenshots are taken in native resolutions.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 5/9/2009 12:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]Are you sure you haven't enabled "Automatically enlarge smaller screenshots (320x200, etc.)" in the preferences of your profile on MobyGames? Generally all screenshots are taken in native resolutions. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Were you talking to me ? Because I didn't submit them. I just know what a resized screenshot looks like. (I had a bad habbit of doing that back when I first joined.)

Sciere (927149) on 5/9/2009 1:13 PM · Permalink · Report

If it was directed to you, I would have replied below your message.

I didn't notice this was in the game-specific forum, and thought it was a general thing, so it hasn't got to do with the preferences.

Indra was here (20756) on 5/9/2009 5:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Were you talking to me ? [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Dude, we use the "threaded" view, instead of the flat view. Accesible at the top right hand of the screen.

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/9/2009 9:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey, speak for yourself - I for one much prefer the flat view! You can still tell who's answering who.

chirinea (47504) on 5/9/2009 9:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Ditto.

Indra was here (20756) on 5/10/2009 7:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--]I for one much prefer the flat view! You can still tell who's answering who. [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--] You can? I use both actually.

vedder (70685) on 5/10/2009 7:25 PM · Permalink · Report

The indentation of the white text box.

Xoleras (66143) on 5/12/2009 7:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, but this also depends on the complexity of the thread. With a 100+ thread, and someone answering someone in the middle of the tree, it might get complicated (pages to scroll and compare).

But apparently some people have this problem already with the following post. :P

Xoleras (66143) on 5/9/2009 10:41 PM · Permalink · Report

The shots were not upscaled, the game does render it that way. In fact, the game does not offer a resolution to be set, but uses the desktop resolution. (I've just tried the game and played it in 1680*1050, and it basically looks the same as those shots on file :)).

Geamandura (2326) on 6/8/2009 5:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Xoleras wrote--]The shots were not upscaled, the game does render it that way. In fact, the game does not offer a resolution to be set, but uses the desktop resolution. (I've just tried the game and played it in 1680*1050, and it basically looks the same as those shots on file :)). [/Q --end Xoleras wrote--]

Yep, I wasn't totally clear, I didn't mean to incriminate that the initial-screenshots taker upscaled them manually. What you said.

Sciere (927149) on 5/10/2009 9:37 AM · Permalink · Report

Macs Black has submitted a new set of shots, now in the default, non-upscaled resolution of 800x600.

Geamandura (2326) on 6/8/2009 5:22 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]Macs Black has submitted a new set of shots, now in the default, non-upscaled resolution of 800x600. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Man, they look gorgeous now, and I see that he also covered the night-time levels. Great!

By the way I'm answering so late because I didn't check the thread after I posted initially. And this, because I thought that adding the thread to "watch list" would notify me by e-mail on replies. Seems not. Well, it's become a lengthy discussion so cheers to all!