Not an American user?
DescriptionThe original Kick Off was expanded on in many ways for this sequel. The game now features full tournament modes (although the players on the teams are fictitious) and four different pitches (including an implementation of plastic pitches, whose uneven bounce cause controversy when several British clubs tried them in the 1980s).
Viewed top-down, the controls involve trapping the ball under your foot, giving you time to prepare passes. Running with the ball is tricky at first, as it doesn't stick to your foot the way it did in contemporary football games. Complex moves such as overhead kicks, back-heels and long-range through-ball passes can be completed with practice.
- "World League Soccer" -- SNES title
- "Pro Soccer 68" -- Sharp X68000 title
- "Pro Soccer" -- Japanese SNES title
- "KO2" -- Common abbreviation
- "プロサッカー68" -- Sharp X68000 Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Group
|The best soccer game ever created, bar none||DOS||Mark Papadakis (36)|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Amiga||Dec, 1990||96 out of 100||96|
|Zzap!||Amiga||Aug, 1990||94 out of 100||94|
|Amiga Joker||Amiga||Jul, 1990||88 out of 100||88|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Amiga||Jul, 1990||9.6 out of 12||80|
|The Games Machine (UK)||Commodore 64||Sep, 1990||74 out of 100||74|
|Play Time||DOS||Apr, 1991||69 out of 100||69|
|Amiga Games||Amiga||Oct, 1992||67 out of 100||67|
|Power Play||Commodore 64||Dec, 1990||60 out of 100||60|
|Video Games||SNES||Dec, 1991||55 out of 100||55|
|64'er||Commodore 64||Nov, 1990||5 out of 10||50|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Celebrating 20 Years Of Kick Off 2 !!!!||4||havoc of smeg (22255)
Apr 05, 2010
|NEW Edition of Kick Off 2 Fanzine out now!||1||gdh82
Nov 07, 2008
|Kick Off 2 | Kick Off Association | Latest News!!!||1||gdh82
May 09, 2008
ControlsA wide range of shots - including aftertouch - are available, and fully accessible with a one-button joystick.
ControversyFamed UK journalist Stuart Campbell of Amiga Power magazine was renowned for his vicious hatred of this game - he found the controls really hard to grasp, with the ball whizzing around the pitch seemingly, to him, at random. This created a lot of friction among readers of this and other magazines, especially when he became an obsessive fan of Sensible Soccer and ultimately began working for Sensible Software. By the time Amiga Power magazine closed in 1996, Stuart was writing for them again, and his final review for them saw him give Kick Off 96 (which wasn't written by main Kick Off 2 author Dino Dini) a score of 1% (the trivia entry for the game explains why - he wasn't merely being petty).
RemakeThe in 2002 release remake Kick Off 2002 has almost exactly the same cover art as Kick Off 2. The only difference: the '2' in the front cover art is replaced with "02".
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 01/1991 – Best Sports Game in 1990
- Commodore Format
- January 1992 (Issue 16) - Cf's all time Top Ten Essential Mega Games
- July 1993 (Issue 34) - Modern Classics: Sports (Check 'em out)
- EMAP Image's Golden Joystick 1991
- April 1991: Game of the Year - 16 Bit
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #54 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- ST Format
- Issue 01/1991 – #2 Best Simulator Game in 1990 (Atari ST)
- Issue 08/1991 – #5 Top Atari ST Classic Games (Editorial staff vote)
- Issue 01/1993 – #25 in '50 finest Atari ST games of all time' list
Related Web Sites
- ArsTechnica: "The Kick Off 2 World Cup" (Dec 2015) (Article about the 2015 world cup and the history of Kick Off 2's tournament play.)
- Kick Off The Gathering (Everything about the Kick Off series (1,2, 2002, 2004))
- World Cup 2015 in Dublin, Ireland (Homepage of the official world championship 2015.)