DescriptionIn Laser Squad you control a group of space marine-like soldiers (and the occasional cyborg). Before taking them into battle (viewed from above and progressing in turns), you must buy them weapons and armour with a predetermined amount of credits, taking into account the individual abilities of your squad. Unlike X-COM, the soldiers do not gain experience over time.
The game also features a two player hotseat multiplayer option.
Initial ZX Spectrum release (and C64 & Amstrad CPC cassette tape releases) had three missions:
- 1: The Assassins - where you must face down Sterner Regnix and his guards
- 2: Moonbase Assault - which challenges you to destroy the OmniCorp database
- 3: Rescue from the Mines - eschew violence in favour of a rescue mission
- 4: The Cyber Hordes - defend a rebel station and its seven stabilizer cores from an advancing imperial droid invasion
- 5: Paradise Valley - following the destruction of the stabilizer cores, escape from the colony with the device containing blueprints for advanced rebel starfighter
There are no promo images for this game
Part of the Following Groups
|An amazingly addictive and fun game.||DOS||Tomer Gabel (4646)|
|The Games Machine (UK)||Amiga||Jan, 1990||93 out of 100||93|
|Amiga Format||Amiga||Dec, 1989||93 out of 100||93|
|Commodore User||Commodore 64||Mar, 1989||92 out of 100||92|
|Your Sinclair||ZX Spectrum||Nov, 1988||9 out of 10||90|
|Zero||Amiga||Dec, 1989||88 out of 100||88|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||ZX Spectrum||Nov, 1988||873 out of 1000||87|
|Amiga Computing||Amiga||Mar, 1990||84 out of 100||84|
|PC Games (Germany)||DOS||Sep, 1992||80 out of 100||80|
|Joystick (French)||DOS||Mar, 1994||72 out of 100||72|
|The Video Game Critic||Commodore 64||Apr 21, 2017||C+||58|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Stellar Forces - A modern remake||5||Pseudo_Intellectual (61101)
Jan 21, 2010
|Unit advancement||2||WildKard (13000)
Nov 16, 2007
1001 Video GamesLaser Squad appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
CutscenesSome of the graphics in the game's cut scenes (for instance, Sterner Regnix's communications officer) are literally lifted from the Star Wars films.
- Amiga Power
- May 1991 (Issue #00) - #25 in the "All Time Top 100 Amiga Games"
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #63 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- William Fraser's Home Page (Has a Java version of the game.)